Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-17-2013, 07:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

JBell36,

That's a very nice, professional looking website. The home page looks the best. And pretty decent on-page SEO stuff on that page as well. But the sub-pages (like the Turf Mowing Page, Irrigation, etc.) are lacking in on-page SEO. And even on the home page there are some SEO related improvements that could be made. You could be getting even better SERPs than you are if you fixed these things. For instance, I don't see any use of H1 or H2 heading tags in the code. Those really help with SEO. H1 and H2 headiing tags are things Googlebot looks for. Also, the Page Title on the sub-pages is not SEO optimized. Here is an example of a better optimized Page Title. I know a lot of SEO pros will tell you this isn't as important as it used to be a few years ago. But I can tell you from personal experience, it still is. Each page on your site should be optimized like this with it's own unique page title. Yours are lacking the city/state information in your page titles, at the very least. Each page should also have it's own unique H1 / H2 heading tags, Meta Descriptions, on-page text, etc. You have some of that. Just not all of it.

Anyway, still a great looking site. Nicer than most I see in our industry. And obviously, you're still working on it. I just wanted to point out a few of these things for you and your GF to consider as you keep working on the site. If you want more help as you go forward with this site, let me know. I'm glad to help. If not, no big deal. I was just trying to help a little.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 11-17-2013, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Jim, I appreciate the feedback, and i will definitely take any constructive criticism coming from you…well, anyone for that matter, because it's not even close to being done…we have so many pictures to put up it's not even funny…i was mainly going for the first glance on the home page, hell not even the bottom part of the page…i think we are also going to do a picture slide show on the home page…we haven't even worked on our SEO with the site yet, no key words or anything…like i said it's just up right now…

i've always thought you had a very well put together site, very well thought out…red is also my favorite color for a company, you guys have a good clean readable logo, and all your trucks match and are at least in decent shape…
Old 11-18-2013, 12:41 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Good to hear.

About the slider. I recommend the WOW Slider. http://wowslider.com/

Great product. Works on jQuery instead of Flash, like most of the others do. So that means it is able to be seen on all sorts of devices that can't use flash (e.g. some iPads, Kindles, many smart phones, etc.) It's also much more smooth than the other sliders I've used. It's not too difficult to figure it out and they have pretty decent support. I had it up and working on my site within an hour of downloading the product. But I probably have a little quicker learning curve than most. I highly recommend using the transition effect called "Kenburns". It's one of the coolest and smoothest effects available on that product.

I'm in the process of changing over all of my pages to the WOW slider now. You can see the difference. If you look at my home page, that's the WOW slider. If you look at my page under the Hardscapes menu on Fences & Decks, you'll see my old slider that I used to use. Notice how it zooms in too far and too quickly too. The new WOW slider doesn't do that.

It was cheap too. Good luck on continuing to design your site. Can't wait to see the pics!

By the way, you can also configure that WOW slider as a photo gallery. With thumbnails, forward and reverse buttons, and much more. Either way, be careful choosing which photo gallery you go with. Some are easy to add photos on to (which is why I use the one I have) and others are not so much.

Old 12-08-2013, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Boy View Post
Guys,
Those of you that are small operators, and have websites.

Did you develop your own, or did you have it "professionally" done?

Story is this:
I have piddled around trying to develop my own utilizing some of these free sites. I am obviously web site development challenged, as I have nothing to show for it, and a real lack of time, but I still think I should have one.

Called somebody that knows what they are doing and price is like $1500 for initial development, and $100/mo. afterwards.

Question for you all is:
Is that a decent price (I know that's a wide open question)?
Comparing before you had a web site, and after, was/is it a good thing, not much difference, or time will tell?

Thanks
$1500.00 is actually not to bad. The main thing is the SEO embedded into the website itself. I have been in the irrigation industry for years, and I stumbled upon building websites 3 years ago. I made websites (and an e-commerce site) for the current irrigation company I work for.

If you are interested let me know. I have built hundreds of websites over the last 3 years and used my SEO knowledge to get them to the top of the search engines within 30 days. My prices are well below $1500.00 as it is the winter and I am looking to supplement my summer irrigation income.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Jay,

Can you provide a few links of some of these websites that you've made, so the audience can get an idea of your work?