Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-11-2013, 08:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Pre-Emergent Nutsedge Control - Echelon?

2013 was a rough year for Nutsedge in the Pittsburgh area. I am guessing that the record rainfall in June & July had something to do with it. I even noticed Yellow Nutsedge popping up in lawns (including my own) that I have never seen it in before.
I had all of my technicians flag (Real Green Software) the lawns that have Yellow Nutsedge problems EVERY YEAR. I have just over 100 of those lawns. In the past, we have hit these lawns with Manage or Dismiss and eventually got the Nutsedge under control. Next season, I want to try and be more proactive. I've been reading online about FMC's Echelon and their claim of pre-emergent success with Nutsedge. I am thinking about trying it just for the 100 or so customers.

Anyone tried it? Success? Fail?

Rob
www.customturfinc.com
Old 12-11-2013, 09:50 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I used it on a big job the reason I used it was it very warm spring we had 90 deg early and I wanted to nock out any crab that had germinated. It turned the hole place yellow a mix of all kinds of grass but it mowed off but was a little embarrassing . You know it's Dismiss and prodiamine mixed. I had some left over and used it on some ball fields where we had a big problem on the warning tracks with nutsedge and it did a very good job no sedge that year even keep the goose grass out that was a problem in august.

Charles Cue
Old 12-11-2013, 01:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I tried the echelon4sc couple years bck, used in the spring on cool season turf, I think applied in may , purposely for yellow nuts edge as a pre-emergent, used it on some properties that have repeated issues with this pest year after year

Results were terrible , I would guesstimate 0-20% control , awful, I raised the issue / results to bill a. Of fmc and he never responded to phone call or email

The sulfentrazone component has great post activity but per my results zero pre activity

GL
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-11-2013, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am not planning on using it on all my lawns but I have a few trouble yards that i'm going to try this year. sedge goose dallies. We will see what happens. It is extremely expensive.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the responses - both positive and negative. My expectations aren't too high but I think I'll give it a shot - will only need a couple of 2 1/2's so it wont break the bank.

Rob
www.customturfinc.com
Old 12-17-2013, 06:10 AM
Sponsor

FMC Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Sweep View Post
Thanks for the responses - both positive and negative. My expectations aren't too high but I think I'll give it a shot - will only need a couple of 2 1/2's so it wont break the bank.
If you would like to speak with your local FMC representative for Pittsburgh, PA, his name is Allan Dufoe and he can be reached via e-mail at allan.d.dufoe@fmc.com or via phone at 410-263-8189. He can help you with the ideal application rates, formulation options, cool-season turf performance, and timing for your area.

You can locate an FMC distributor using our "Find a Distributor" function on our website at www.fmcprosolutions.com .

Thanks for trying to "Nip it in the tuber". Adam Manwarren, Brand Marketing Manager for FMC Professional Solutions

Phone: 1-800-321-1FMC (1362)
E-mail: fmc.prosolutions@fmc.com
Twitter: @FMCturf
Blog: www.fmcturfwire.com
Old 12-17-2013, 02:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

EDIT --- sorry Bill A. - got fmc confused with pbi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbturf View Post
I tried the echelon4sc couple years bck, used in the spring on cool season turf, I think applied in may , purposely for yellow nuts edge as a pre-emergent, used it on some properties that have repeated issues with this pest year after year

Results were terrible , I would guesstimate 0-20% control , awful, I raised the issue / results to allan D. Of fmc and he never responded to phone call or email

The sulfentrazone component has great post activity but per my results zero pre activity

GL
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-28-2014, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Member

I have not used it but can tell you what I have researched. It is dismiss and prodiamine. The price is basically for the dismiss so timing is important. Common sense would tell you that if you are applying dismiss to kill nutsedge, you want it down after the grass is out of dormancy. There is a window between grass greening and nutsedge coming up and that's when I am planning on using it. Using it before the grass is outta dormancy is like doing a blanket treatment of dismiss before the nutsedge is taking in anything, let alone weed control, it's essentially hibernating till the temps rise.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

We estimate the temperature has to hit around 80 before nutsedge can emerge. Not much different than the first day that crabgrass emerges. Of course, nutsedge is not usually visible until its been 85 degrees for a few days.
I am not sure I would try a product that combines pre and post ingredients.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Member

That is a valid point. I would argue that once something emerges is different than when it wakes up. Crabgrass germinates when soil temps are consistently averaging 55 degrees. It doesn't come up till much later but putting down dismiss after the 55 degree average temp would also probably be taken into the tubers that are later to come with the nutsedge. FMC is only in business because they offer products that produce results and they (probably and hopefully) would not put out a product that didn't have benefits and results. I love dismiss, it works great and I'm gonna hope that echelon works. I will let you know if it works or not. I have one lawn that has a horrible goose grass problem and that's why I researched echelon. If it doesn't do the trick then I will know for sure it's a waste of money. Again, I'll be the first to post if it doesnt work for my client.