Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-07-2014, 09:33 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by David C. View Post
What gets me is when I see a truck roll up----usually some sort of new model F250 or a Silverado 2500---of sorts---with brand spankin' new machines----haven't even been "green stained" yet---now you know they're making payments on that truck and the equipment----and they roll up to a resident----4 of um get out of the truck---one runs the ZTR(as if they're warming up for the next Talladega NASCAR race)----one has the trimmer and the other two have backpack blowers coming behind the trimmer and ZTR guy

You see this sort of stuff in the early spring-----but funny thing is---this type usually fade out in mid/late summer when the Sun gets hotter than blue blazes----you never see them then----like they roam around in mid summer with some sort of Klingon "cloakin' device" on that F250!!!
I used to talk on occasion with a solo feller, 2 years ago he partnered up with one of the larger Lcos, he started running a crew of 3 and worked like crazy, it would make your head spin watching them. He barley would wave at me after that. Now I found out that hes no longer with the company and out of business.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:53 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Yea around here is is everyone and their Dog has 2 or 3 mowers. I guess the Zero % financing specials are helping people load up on equipment. I have a hard time keeping one mower busy these days.
It ensures the slightly used equipment market is well suppplied around here. The dealers love selling guys package deals with trailer,mower and 3 two stroke pieces starting at 99 dollars a month and up from there.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-07-2014, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

It does alaways seem that there is only 2 types of used equiptment, almost new or worn out junk.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:01 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PicturePerfectLawns View Post
As for the $22,000.00 peace of equipment, I would retract your statement just this once

Why should I retract my statement? You run your $2k mower and I'll run my $22k mower. If charging extra works for you that's great. Our customers want us in and out and pay fair prices for that convenience.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-07-2014, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't own a dog but my cows have a built in mower that mow most of my place.....
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-13-2014, 03:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-2 Lawncare View Post
I keep this short and just hit the high points.
Last year after a death at one of my competitors, his company was sold.
The guy who passed was a one man mowing crew. He also plowed snow and had six trucks obviously with six guys to run them.
The guy who bought the company thought he could run it from behind a desk.
It was fun to watch him fail miserably. The company has since been hacked up and sold off.
Did you kill him off too?
Old 04-13-2014, 04:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Several good points in this thread. I've been in the business for years .I have been mowing since I was big enough to push my dad's snapper around the block. New guys pop up and it doesn't bother me at all. They won't get the accounts I'm into and quite frankly if they do, then I deserved to lose it because I'm not doing my job. This is the first season I've bought a new mower and not paid cash and it doesn't make me an idiot. I've got the business to support ONE single payment. Don't knock someone's equipment for looking new. I clean my mowers weekly and blow/wipe them down daily. Image is everything in business. Professionalism goes a long way ESPECIALLY in this business where the guy around the corner is wearing a wife beater and has a cig hanging off of his bottom lip while mowing. Take pride in yourself, equipment and your work and it'll all work out. Mind your own business and stop whining about "another new guy". At least they are willing to work!
Old 04-13-2014, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I don't think losing accounts is because we're not doing the job. We loss bc of new the dog in town is hungry. Usually no overhead. Usually has a full time job. Usually has a father, uncle or wife footing the hill upfront. I just big a large condo complex...brand new on golf course. Had 4 bids. I was second...same price as one other crew. Winning bid was 48 percent less than our weekly bid. Fert bid was cheaper than my product. The new guy willingness to work...sure ok whatever.
Old 04-13-2014, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Around here there are tons of weekend warriors and even more illegals. Small lawns that used to fetch $35 now bring $20. An acre lawn for $35 to $40 I easily see 20 crews a day in big fancy rigs with a truck load of non english speaking illegals knocking probably 30+ lawns a day out. These guys work daylight to dark 6 to 7 days a week cutting lawns super cheap and living 3 families in an apartment. They make there money in VOLUME. Tons of work and just a little profit off each lawn. I guess that is what I get for living in a liberal dominated state where they give college tuition to illegals and also give illegals drivers licenses. BIG MONEY state right between DC and Baltimore and right next to northern virginia. Money money money everywhere around here but nobody wants to pay a dime for lawn care because they have gotten used to the illegals willing to work almost for free. Even my own house was $565,000. Thank god my wife makes very very good money. She makes 10X what I make.
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)