Register free!

Old 08-12-2014, 03:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Nursery questions

Hello, I've got quiet a few questions I'd like to ask. I'm interested in starting a backyard nursery. As you can tell by my username I run a lawncare service. I would like to to start selling plants on the side to bring in some extra income. I tried to do some research online but the questions I have don't seem to have answers floating around. To start things off, I'll let you know my current/planned setup. I do have 2 grow tents that are broken down at this time. I live in a apartment complex and I wasn't happy when I found out I couldn't even porch grow because of the beach and salt drying out my plants. So I bought the 4x4 setup, and my buddy sold me his 1.5x1.5 I didn't ask questions of why or what I just jumped on snatching it up for dirt cheap.

What I have:
GrowLab 40
DarkRoom Pro 120
150w HPS Grow Light(for the Grow Lab
600w HPS Grow Light bundle(for the Darkroom)
Hurricane 6 inline Fan(for the darkroom)
Duct Booster(for the grow Labs
I also have a fan controller

So here's my plan. I'm relocated to a place with a yard. In the yard I want to build atleast 2 4x10 Cold frames(hoop houses). I want to build a 4x4 green house. I want to also set up the Grow Labs tent with a fan that has just a little more power and run it as a vegging tent for now.

My plan is to put atleast a 2 shelf, prefer a 3 shelf rack in the tent for propagation and early vegging. Once they've outgrown the starter pots, my plan is to transfer them into 1/2gal and 1gal pots(depends on plants) and transfer into the hoop houses. Once they're at selling size, I want to start selling them. Later on I want to bring in the darkroom and run a little bit of a bigger setup but for now I just wanna stay small, and do this as a hobby/make some extra money on the side.

So now that you know the basic idea of my plan. I would like to ask a few questions and get advice on my current plan. Before anyone asks, I do not have the space right now to run the darkroom.

Where do you sell the plants when they're at size?

Can I use the 150w grow light to grow in the Grow labs tent or will I need 2 -3 T5s? My worry is that the grow light will be hitting the top shelf(metal rack) and the plants will block out the light for the 2 lower rows.

Where is the best place to find a wholesale on seeds? I'm thinking about starting with something that I'm familiar with. Herbs and Veggies, and maybe a few annuals.

Can you even sell plants online? I've read that people sell online at places like ebay, but don't you risk the plant dying or getting damaged?
Old 08-12-2014, 03:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

At such a small scale, I doubt you would make a profit. Sounds more like a hobby. Don't forget the legal stuff that's involved when selling plants.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprinkler Buddy View Post
At such a small scale, I doubt you would make a profit. Sounds more like a hobby. Don't forget the legal stuff that's involved when selling plants.
Well, I figured I can't sell plants right away. It'll take time and research before I can legally sell the plants in the state of FL. Right now I'm just wanting to get a small scale setup going.
Old 08-12-2014, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Why don't you design around what it is you intend to grow?

Are you planning something illegal?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4BD_5csNHg
Old 08-12-2014, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

just grow stuff you can easily propagate and divide and grow it in a garden, why do you need a hoop house and greenhouse in such a tropical climate?
how much money can you make selling tiny plants that are not even mature?
Old 08-12-2014, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You can order seeds wholesale from Park Seed, Johnny's Seeds, Ball Seed, Burpee or a host of others. You will have a tough time ordering the small quantity you can use in such a small set up. The seeds can be kept for later use but germination will drop with time. I'm working with a 1000 sq ft house and always have seeds left over that eventually get tossed. If you have a good garden or farm center nearby they frequently sell bulk seed.
Old 08-17-2014, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twomancrew View Post
Why don't you design around what it is you intend to grow?

Are you planning something illegal?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4BD_5csNHg
Very funny buddy.
No, I have no intentions of growing anything "Illegal" with those tents. My plan is to use the smaller one as a prorogation setup(and for cuttings), and use the backyard of my place to grow them out. I'm looking to grow a variety of plants. Veggies, annuals, and peninuals.