Register free!

Old 04-19-2014, 02:37 PM
LawnSite Member

i got a question on a new (to me) spreader

I just got a good deal on a Lesco 50# spreader ($100). Its the 092821 model on the far right ( https://www.johndeerelandscapes.com/..._spreaders.pdf ) I bought it to spread granular fertilizer, its listed as a bulk/ice melt spreader with one 3" hole rather than three 1" holes. Did i make a $100 mistake for a fert spreader?
Old 04-19-2014, 03:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would say yes--its not intended for fertilizer.
However, it should be easy to build a "Work around" .
Cut a plastic bottle apart (such as a detergent bottle or herbicide jug); use a flat piece of plastic to reduce the opening by about half. Attach with a small stainless steel bolt thru a drilled hole in the bottom. For best results, make it adjustable so that the flat plastic can be rotated left or right to adjust the throw pattern to correct unevenness or cause a bit more density to the left.

Probably better than new. Because the opening will pass big lumps of fert with no problem.

And with the adjustability feature you can probably get a more even distribution of the fert particles.

Paint it green of course.

If you don't have any plastic--or if you are not too handy--use duct tape. Clean the plastic first.

Last edited by RigglePLC; 04-19-2014 at 04:07 PM. Reason: add
Old 04-19-2014, 06:20 PM
LawnSite Member

it does have settings that adjust the one hole. it is numbered 1-31. 1 being almost closed and 31 being wide open. do you think it will be any less acurate than a setup with the three 1" holes?
Old 04-19-2014, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Should work OK--BUT--the chance of an uneven pattern is a little greater. More fert could spread out to the right than the left.
Keep in mind that the fert particles that fall near the outside of the splatter will go to the right. And particles that fall near the center of the platter will stay on the platter longer and fly out to the left.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Member

So the posisition of the holes truely is important. They design it with that in mind? The one hole is really best for passing large quanities thru at a faster uneaven rate such as broadcasting ice melt or sand
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-20-2014, 12:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The position of the holes is important--but--it is a compromise. When the openings are mostly closed the particles fall to the platter at a different point than when the openings are mostly open. And different sizes and weights of granules will behave differently.

If a spreader could be used with only one product and one rate--the accuracy could be improved and the pattern could be more uniform on the left and right.

Someday perhaps some spreader company will engineer a spreader set up to deliver 4 pounds per thousand using a 200 SGN granule fertilizer. Should be even and accurate (if you walk at 2.5 mph, and keep your swath uniform). You would have to install a different bottom plate if you wanted an adjustable opening.