Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-08-2013, 05:50 AM
LawnSite Member

Hey man - you're only crazy if it DOESN'T work. As long as it works for you - go for it!! I have some of the craziest ideas in the world sometimes, but it is funny - when they work - It's a good thing! (flatbed dump with a removable dovetail...)
Old 02-08-2013, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

HaHa! Well said, Woodman1..... Thanks for all the input guys/gals... Going to start a new thread in the residential/commercial heading asking about unorthodox ways of doing things... I hope you all come see it and reply! thanks again!
Old 02-11-2013, 01:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

For what it is worth. I have used one of these truck mounted mini crane/winch combo things from northern. The crane was cheap and only lasted about a year. Salt from the winter ate right through all the piston seals that lifted the boom. Oil leaked everywhere. Secondly, the way these units mount to a Pick Up bed is a large plate of steel under the bed bolted to the crane body in the bed which sandwidges the truck bed between two pieces of steel creating a lot of twisting pressue on the bed. Sounds like a good idea, but the bed of a pick up truck is pretty thin and actually bends under the crane loads. Thses cranes probably work much better in a utility body where the floor is much thicker. I was not happy with my Northern Crane. By the time I was done re-inforcing the bed, installing a new better boom pump, and some other minor mods, I had easily spent a grand. Get a leaf loader even if its used. The right tool for the right job. Hope this helps with your decision. Good luck either way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMax Man View Post
Walker is for those who go above the standard of mowing and strive to Manicure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by topsites View Post
Tentatively speaking, kinda... I think... And maybe, thou I sure hope so, sure would be nice.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:16 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow! Awesome reply CrystalCreek! Thank you so much for your input! Would you happen to know if they HAVE to be mounted that way? (I initially did not think about stress from weight) I have a ford f350 super duty with a 10ft. dump bed.... I can tell you however, that I do not think my dump bed is any tougher or thicker than a pick up bed but I guess I have to inspect it. Do you think a Welder could weld a plate(like a shelf) off of the side of the very back of the dump bed? Would that be OK for DOT? I guess it would have to be super thick and have reinforcements to handle the weight.. More questions for you! I hope you don't mind! What were you lifting with your crane? Were you lifting tarps? Any other junk? Stones? Stumps? If you were lifting tarps with leaves....... Did you have the clearance to get it into your bed? That is something I was definitely worried about.. Thank you so much for your reply and I really look forward to your answers to my questions... We actually have a lot in common, I have been in the industry for 15 years and this is going to be my first "real" year out as a solo operator. Walkers are by far my most beloved mowers with Scag coming in right behind it.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just have the welder mount the plate high up on the bed should give you plenty of room for clearance
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-12-2013, 04:00 PM
LawnSite Member

If you're wanting to go cheap to see if it will work , what about those hand crank winches like are on the front of boat trailers?