Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-28-2013, 07:31 PM
LawnSite Member

personally I enjoy my 2 days off a week (usually weekends).

no way am I trading them for any amount of money.
Old 05-29-2013, 05:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Up at 4am m-f 6sat&sun
Home at 7pm
Mowing m-f
Sat and sun landscape and catch up
But i could run longer if need be.
8 months of work here about 4 weeks of drought a year and snow in the winter well i pretty much sat and waited when not doing maintenance.
Gotta make hay while the sun is shining!
Old 05-29-2013, 11:03 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

This thread brings back memories of a poster who was a part timer in our biz. He worked FT as a helicopter mechanic who worked in the Gulf Coast area. Worked 10 days on yet seperated from the family then 5 days off with family.

He wanted to be able to spend more time with his family. I seriously thought and I posted, "you already have it made...let's trade".

I will flat out admit if I could land a solid A&P aircraft mechanic job where I worked mostly days with an actual future and security....I'd quit the Lawn biz in a heart beat. Problem is wages stink IMO for the stress level of your signature and I have been away from that work for a long time so it would be like starting over at the bottom working nights.

Working this business and my other one over the years has damaged my home life pretty badly. Time with my son has suffered and he is 12 now. He needs time with dad. There are a host of other issues but you can not roll back time.

There has to be a balance to life between work and down time.

My hats off to those who can balance it out and/or have families that are supportive and can help out. For me it has been nothing but a wedge and I have been the bad guy for being so blasted obsessive compulsive with making the business succeed and separating myself from competitors.

To be able to grow any further I flat out have to hire a personal assistant at some point. Mainly for paper work, errands, light maintenance, some of the work....etc.

I hope to be able to make this work more smoothly soon. I still believe the income potential is greater doing this vs. working as an A&P in a big city I hate just to make a decent wage ...with a higher cost of living compared to.where I live now.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-29-2013, 11:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

My son is 12 too, so I know what you mean. I solved my problem by having him help me on a couple of lawns a few days a week. Now he thinks we spend too much time together.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:51 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddyshack Lawn Care View Post
My son is 12 too, so I know what you mean. I solved my problem by having him help me on a couple of lawns a few days a week. Now he thinks we spend too much time together.

That is my goal for him to help me. Honestly he will slow me down but it will be worth it. The apron string mode he has lived under has not been a good thing.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-29-2013, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think I must be weird: But I much prefer the weekdays to the weekend. I personally like the normal routine of the monday through friday workweek. On the other hand, I hate working saturdays because it seems nobody else is working and I have to deal with customers being home.... yet I work all day anyway because I've got too much work to finish it all during the week. Sundays we go to church and I take the family to eat and my wife and I usually end up taking a nap.....I suppose I need the break, but at the end of the day on Sunday I find myself bored and thinking about mowing again. I think mowing is an addiction of sorts. For me I think it produces a high....it's like: what's the next week going to bring???? ...how many new accounts?,...etc...
Old 05-31-2013, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

anybody see that this thread was in the May edition of Turf magazine? Sorry if this has been posted already, didn't read all the way trough, just remember seeing it
Old 05-31-2013, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I really dont see a problem working on weekends. Why not have 5 days worth of cutting? Thats steady and consistant money. You wont have landscape jobs every week, so thats when I take my days off. Ive been working 6-7 days a week for the last 30 years... Its not to pay bills because im not making enough, its to get it all done, and also have some extra money to put into the things that I can have fun with on those days im not working. I also have learned to savor the days off I do get. Its not bad like some make it sound, just do what you gotta do.

PlowSite-SnowFakers