Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-18-2014, 12:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
Last year most people were posting that 2 men crew was the most efficient.

Though people pointed out how Brickman is rolling multiple trucks to jobs with 4 men per truck.

The problem with crews is not the size but the quality of the workers and is the crew and equipment correctly matched to the job.

Number one complaint as crew size grows is the amount of standing around watching others work because it is not my job attitude.

This spring I did all of the clean ups by myself.

Last fall my son and friend helped me. My son and friend worked non stop. Everyone kept pitching in until we were loaded and ready to drive off.

Whether 1, 2, or 3 people I had the same efficiency. No body stood around.

My friend is 71 and last fall it was easy to see that age finally slowed him down a lot. Even so his old school attitude had him finding something that needed to be done with out standing around. Or waiting to be told to do something.

This trait is lacking in many in the younger generations.
Brickman's properties are also all huge commercial accounts and commons areas, etc., so it makes sense. Plus they have more than than one or two crews, lol. Much different story compared to most of us on here. Sending 4 guys to little .25 acre lots is foolish IMO for a smaller operation. Unless you are paying them peanuts. Every extra man will lose man hour production.
Old 05-18-2014, 12:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

It boils down to how many and how large your accounts are. I'm running 2 guys for properties 1 1/2 acre and under and 3 sometimes 4 on my large accounts up to 8 acres.
Old 05-18-2014, 12:46 AM
LawnSite Member

Crew

Ref vld32... I agree with your comments... It's also about quality of workers and retention of workers too...down here that's a huge issue...reliability, punctuality, work ethic, ... It's a transient worker situation here.. Doesn't matter what $$$ you pay even, it's very different.. I now run two on residential and 3-4 on commercial.. I have workers who will bust a gut.. Recruiting is a big issue... You would need to experience it here to believe it. Staff turnover is high.. People arrive in Florida and leave when the heat turns up...luckily all the wannabes lawn companies disappear by July when it gets tough.
Getting a good crew leader is hard.. I am fortunate at the moment in my guys.. But it's been a long hard road..