Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-12-2013, 06:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Sprinkler startup fail

I went to start up our sprinkler system today and everything went well except I have very low water pressure at the heads. They valve opens but the heads hardly rise out of the ground and I can piss farther than they throw water. It is the same for all the zones. All the pipe valves are fully opened and I don't see any water puddles any where on the lawn that would indicate a broken line. I walked the entire property and no puddles.

It is the same for all the zones which suggest to me the problem is at the main water line. I replace the main valve in the basement last year so that shouldn't be a problem. I can hear good water flow. Could the back-flow preventer valve cause this problem. I took it apart but saw no obvious problems.

Thanks for the help.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Is your clock off? I'm asking because maybe the valves are open. Is your drain closed? At the vacuum breaker open up one petcock, see if good pressue flows out., take the top of the vacuum breaker off, make sure everything is in place. You could have a bad pressure regulator also
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-12-2013, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Have you checked the filters in the sprinkler heads themselves, maybe it's an older system and turning the system back on has loosened build up on the interior walls of the sprinkler lines and clogged the filters/screens.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:31 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Does your system have a master valve that may be only partially opening? It's got to be either a master valve or RPZ/double check issue. I've seen master valves cause problems multiple times.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 05-17-2013, 09:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sod View Post
I went to start up our sprinkler system today and everything went well except I have very low water pressure at the heads. They valve opens but the heads hardly rise out of the ground and I can piss farther than they throw water. It is the same for all the zones. All the pipe valves are fully opened and I don't see any water puddles any where on the lawn that would indicate a broken line. I walked the entire property and no puddles.

It is the same for all the zones which suggest to me the problem is at the main water line. I replace the main valve in the basement last year so that shouldn't be a problem. I can hear good water flow. Could the back-flow preventer valve cause this problem. I took it apart but saw no obvious problems.

Thanks for the help.
All zones restricted sounds like a stop valve has not been fully opened. The correct way to over winter a stop valve that is not active is to leave it half open. Check all stop valves before continuing.