Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-25-2014, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Member

I will often tell customers, when sod is grown, it may take two years from the time the seed is sown until the sod is ready for harvesting and sale, with the grower being on the property most every day to care for his crop. We will do the best that can be done with six visits per season in addition to responding promptly to concerns between treatments. My hope is that this will stimulate reasonable expectations and an understanding that consistent, proper care by all parties involved, LCOs, mowers, irrigation, homeowners, will yield the best results.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnsharkMB View Post
It's probably a little bit easier with a cool season grass because you can seed and actually start filling in the bare spots.

With centipede all you can really do is wait for it to grow in or sod. Most customers cringe when they hear that word because they know it's expensive.
Cool season or Warm Season grass doesn't matter you still have do more things to the lawn beside spraying to get a lush lawn If the lawn bad sometimes better just start over if they cant wait
Old 08-25-2014, 11:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Under estimate the results and performance to some extent. That is too say never make huge promises you know are mostly out of your control.

You're feeding the grass, killin the weeds, lookin for insects, and making recommendations.

Other than that there are multiple things out of your control that will affect the lawn, and especially affect the lawn if someone who does not have a lush lawn already says...."I want a lush lawn."

Mowing, watering, traffic, shade, soil composition, soil compaction, grade, pets, the list goes on.....

You all know what I am saying. It's all these things that make or break a premium lawn or what they perceive as a lush lawn.

Existing homeowners possibly changing service are easy to read....you can already see what they do or are capable of doing. New homeowners that request a lush lawn should have the expectations explained thoroughly.
Old 08-26-2014, 06:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

After servicing 400+ lawns every day for 5 straight years and selling fertilizer to hundreds of customers for the past 8-1/2 years, the biggest problem that I see is that people think that if their "lawn guy" follows a program or if they follow a program, their lawn will look mint at all times. They do not understand that sometimes a program must be modified due to unexpected changes from mother nature. Disease pressure to me is the toughest thing to conquer because the fungicides are expensive and the customers don't want to spend the money. Then they're unhappy and everything is the "lawn guy's" fault. They'll then cancel their services or buy the products from somewhere else.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Member

I would much rather take on a weedy thin lawn than one that is already in great shape.You clean up a weedy thin lawn with a couple of applications and your a hero because the lawn improved just like you said it would.
With a immaculate lawn,one that the home owner has taken care of them self and did all the right things all you can do is maintain the look of the lawn or possibly in the eyes of the home not do as good a job as he did.
I ask the customer what their expectations for their lawn is.Not every home owner wants the thickest greenest lawn on the block maybe they just want a weed free lawn.
Some lawns have limitations,pets,to much shade poor soil or compaction,maybe weed free is all you can ask for. once you know what a customer wants it is easier to meet their expectations.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I tell people, "Your lawn is like an 800 pound person who is starting to diet. Just because you went to the health club a few times don't mean you will look like Arnold Schwarzenegger."
Old 08-27-2014, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesturf View Post
I tell people, "Your lawn is like an 800 pound person who is starting to diet. Just because you went to the health club a few times don't mean you will look like Arnold Schwarzenegger."
that right there I'm gonna use, priceless
Old 08-27-2014, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgialawn88 View Post
that right there I'm gonna use, priceless
Yep thats a good un
Posted via Mobile Device