Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-15-2014, 09:26 AM
LawnSite Member

48in Walker GHS Blades "knocking"

I have an 04 GHS walker. Just put a new set of blades on it and now something in the deck is knocking. Gear boxes have oil. I used new shear pins on the blades. The blades themselves don't appear to be hitting anything. They don't hit each other nor the deck itself.

I *think* that the problem is one of the blade shafts is somehow loose inside the gear box and allowing the blade and the shaft to travel up and down about 1/8 inch. This could possibly be enough to create the knocking sound I'm hearing (and feeling).

Any idea how this could be happening? I believe the vertical shaft the blade attached to is connected to the gearbox with some kind of pin or E-clip. Could it be that this pin is worn down or broken? It's only one blade shaft that is loose.

Anyone ever seen something like this before?
Old 06-15-2014, 10:09 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebK View Post
Anyone ever seen something like this before?

I've yet to see this, But a E-clip won't wear enough to give that much up/down play. Open the box and remove the gear lube so you can see, You'll likely find worn bearings and possibly bevel gears......
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannsLawnService View Post
some times the man in my mirror isn't so smart...
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 06-15-2014, 05:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Restorob, We have seen retaining ring, part#26 in the below IPL either missing or bent up, allowing up and down movement. In addition, the groove in the shaft for the retaining ring is sloppy so a replacement ring does not effect a repair. Replacement of the shaft has been our only remedy. I believe that even with shear bolts, the initial shock does damage to the box over time.

http://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/Peer...0-1000-077.pdf
Old 06-15-2014, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Restrorob,
Thanks for the reply. After some more searching I finally discovered that one of the blades WAS hitting the deck. It was such a small contact point that I overlooked it earlier. I bent the deck out a little (like 1/8 inch) and it's good to go.

I do still have the problem of the blade shaft traveling up and down and will look into that this week. It's been like that since I got it a couple months ago
Old 06-15-2014, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

those tiny little hex screws where the blade is attached to the dish, check those. I've had that problem before and that was how i fixed it, get some new screws and make sure the screw and washer on the back of the plate are tight.