Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-14-2013, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscape Poet View Post
Finding really good help will take the right combination of wage offered, position offered, FT all year long vs essentially ft seasonal, proper interview skills, time taken to actually follow up on references given and of course training and INSPECTING WHAT YOU EXPECT. IF all that falls in place you can find a good employee or two.
How do you handle your guys when you go to EOW? I'm guessing you have enough installs to keep them busy on the off week?
Old 08-14-2013, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, we always have projects going on. I use them on my house flips as well. They lose a few hours, but they make them in OT during the season. I tell them up front to save a little, I don't want to hear whining. I also pay on Mondays. Paying on Friday caused guys to party all weekend and be hungover or calling out on Monday. I haven't laid anybody off yet. I've been expanding my pool service and pressure washing divisions which stay constant year round.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
Yes, we always have projects going on. I use them on my house flips as well. They lose a few hours, but they make them in OT during the season. I tell them up front to save a little, I don't want to hear whining. I also pay on Mondays. Paying on Friday caused guys to party all weekend and be hungover or calling out on Monday. I haven't laid anybody off yet. I've been expanding my pool service and pressure washing divisions which stay constant year round.
I am in the same boat except for the house flipping. Since taking the leap to have my first employee I paid him even during the off weeks, at least a little something. Even though everyone tells me that this is crazy including my accountant. Last year I paid my guy full time almost the entire winter.

I know many would say this is crazy but what I have figured out is this...my income does slow significantly during the winter..so why should theirs?

Greed is good for the bottom line for a short period...but maybe not so much in the long term.

The most valuable asset my business has besides myself...is my employees. No mower, trailer, truck will ever offer a higher ROI than a good employee. I make sure my guys are taken care of because I worked too hard solo to reach where I am today, I continue to grow because of them, they will ensure I reach my goals tomorrow....so why would I crush them during the winter if I can avoid it?

I know will many say that this is crazy, my accountant tried to tell me it was, but I have a very low turnover rate (my first employee was with me right at two years) and that has its advantages. My customers feel comfortable if I am not on the property knowing my guys will take care of it just as if I was there. This alone is worth ensuring they get properly compensated during winter months as it allows me to......make more sales by taking days off during the week and getting estimates done.

Many of my subs send me money towards the end of the year as a thank you. Some a couple hundred bucks, some a hundred based off of the volume I sent them....guess who gets all that money right before x-mas? That is right I hand it right over to the employees. They get me a lead and I land the account...they get a bonus. I give them ever reason I can to ensure that they continue to take care of me as although I love what I do....I do not plan on having to do it everyday.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 08-14-2013, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg78 View Post
How do you handle your guys when you go to EOW? I'm guessing you have enough installs to keep them busy on the off week?
Installs not always...but I push my customers off as long as I can on stuff especially if it makes sense.

Mulch for example. Everyone want to dress their lawn up for spring and during summer when the heat just sucks. You and your guys are not as effecient during this time of year. Not to mention installing during this time of year means it is going in during or just prior to rainy season....not a value for your customer as it will wash away in rains or fade in the sun.

I train them if they want it done, do it in the late fall. Why they ask

1. Not during rainy season so it will most likely not float away.
2. It will not fade as quickly from the intense sun we see during summer
3. Your beds will look better during really high traffic times of the year like x-mas and thanksgiving
4. when we get a freeze your beds will draw the eye more from passers by as the grass is not longer green but rather brown...doesn't it make sense to have the beds looking their best during this time of year?
5. It will cost you more now than during winter or fall. That is right...a 5% or even 10% discount is more than made up by myself because the heat factor we face during summer. Anybody can move faster in 80 degree weather than they can in the mid 90's or higher...it more than pays for itself in labor savings....especially when you consider you are looking for stuff for them to do anyway.

Same way for massive clean ups etc...I price higher for summer/spring work but follow up with a better quote for fall/winter. Many customers are willing to wait a couple of months seeing the potential savings, some do not and that is fine too, money is money.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 08-15-2013, 08:15 AM
LawnSite Member

workers

My guys get OT in summer, my guys get paid 3/4 during winter.. I have 4-5 great guys.. trying to find the last 1-2 team members has been a nightmare and still fruitless... pay is not the issue.,..advertised $9-12 per hour.. depending upon experience or level required.. tried for labourer tried for crew leaders, tried allsorts of interviewing techniques, followed up on references and done trial weeks with them (some lasting 5 hrs.. not many lasting the full week),,, been searching since december.. absolutely headbanging. still looking
Old 08-26-2013, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

had 2 white boys quit this summer 1 walked off the job and never heard from him. The other was calling his wife by 11:00 on his 1st day.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monoshock View Post
Beer and weed money, that's the motivation now days. Sad, but true.
is that a problem

"non-violence leads to the highest ethics, which is the goal of all evolution. Until we stop harming all other livings beings, we are still savages. THOMAS EDISON
Old 08-28-2013, 02:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Thankfully my permanent workers are awesome guys and other than a few minor issues I have no complaints.
But holey Moley it's been hard work finding anywhere near decent seasonal staff this year - Craigslist is just a disaster now as far as finding good workers and the labor pool even worse - had to resort to getting to the gas stations very early in the morning to find decent guys willing to work who lets just say perhaps are not speakers of the English tongue as their first language