Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-07-2013, 04:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedar Lawn Care View Post
Be in a city big enough you have a high potential client base. I live in a 25k city so I am limited. Having said that, I gained 20 weekly customers this year. Roughly 17 of them were gained through the internet. 3 from post cards. If you're serious about this, and want to get a legitimate business with lots of employees etc I would put a lot of money into a professional website built by a SEO expert then have a legitimate seo company keep you at the top of google. Post cards work well but they are expensive. If you're not afraid to throw 10k into post cards and you're in a big city I think you could gain 40 clients in a matter of a month in the spring.
This is sound advice.

All the big boys around here are commercial only. They all market their businesses. They sponsor local events. They give to charity. Are you in a position to go after that market? If I could pay to compete with that I couldn't keep up with the outcome. You got $200K on tap to expand? Score isn't a bad group of people to work with, I am lucky we camp next to a guy who consults for score. Got a few times with him this summer and listened to him ramble on.

Paying a professional to do what they do best is $ well spent. It's why people hire us to mow their grass. Don't be afraid to spend a little $.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:52 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Buying out a guy wanting out. Shed the bad accounts. Keep the good accounts.

Word of mouth goes a long ways once your big enough.

SEO stuff I know you have a good contact for.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-07-2013, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedar Lawn Care View Post
Be in a city big enough you have a high potential client base. I live in a 25k city so I am limited. Having said that, I gained 20 weekly customers this year. Roughly 17 of them were gained through the internet. 3 from post cards. If you're serious about this, and want to get a legitimate business with lots of employees etc I would put a lot of money into a professional website built by a SEO expert then have a legitimate seo company keep you at the top of google. Post cards work well but they are expensive. If you're not afraid to throw 10k into post cards and you're in a big city I think you could gain 40 clients in a matter of a month in the spring.
We pick up 40 new accounts every spring; in the spring is where 95% of our customers are gained. I'm not complaining; but I would like to gain more like 100-200 ever spring.

Right now about 80% of our growth comes from our website. We're ranked high; that's not a problem. In the spring we usually only spend $1500 on printed advertising. I've thought about spending at least $10k on advertising...

Thoughts?
Old 11-07-2013, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy123 View Post
We pick up 40 new accounts every spring; in the spring is where 95% of our customers are gained. I'm not complaining; but I would like to gain more like 100-200 ever spring.

Right now about 80% of our growth comes from our website. We're ranked high; that's not a problem. In the spring we usually only spend $1500 on printed advertising. I've thought about spending at least $10k on advertising...

Thoughts?
Take what your doing and do it 5X as much?
Old 11-07-2013, 07:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twomancrew View Post
Take what your doing and do it 5X as much?
That's probably the best idea yet...its worked, just do it on a bigger scale.

Thanks.