Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-02-2014, 09:02 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&M Lawncare View Post
#1 disconnect the connector on the seat

#2 Parking Brake should have nothing to do with it. I run Gravely's though hell it took my dealer guys almost 9 years to finally figure out the correct way to set the brake on my 05' 148z, it has never worked right they set it worked most of the season last year but has now went back to way it was pull it up mower rolls I cannot see this being a issue for making the mower die anyways.

#3 Sounds like electrical relay or something is seriously setup wrong by you or dealers last repairs possibly
For number 2 it is incorrect. If you have the parking brake on and pull the levelers in should die. Which is what is happening.

The seat switch is a good idea to check but the switch needs to work when starting the mower up so most likely that is fine.

I would check wiring connections and the switch for the parking brake. If things are fine their they should swap the relay module and see if that went bad.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-02-2014, 10:04 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djagusch View Post
For number 2 it is incorrect. If you have the parking brake on and pull the levelers in should die. Which is what is happening.

The seat switch is a good idea to check but the switch needs to work when starting the mower up so most likely that is fine.

I would check wiring connections and the switch for the parking brake. If things are fine their they should swap the relay module and see if that went bad.
Posted via Mobile Device
Guys, firstly, thanks for all the suggestions. I'm not a landscaper, just a lowly and frustrated homeowner, so this mower only gets run once a week. But I know enough about cars, batteries and electronics to surmise that it's not a battery issue.

As for the Parking Brake, there isn't a separate brake to set. Just to clarify, this mower is "braked" when you leave the control levers "out". So, I'm guessing there's some kind of "brake" solenoid that gets activated when the levers are in the "out" position, correct? I can hear something electronically activating when the levers reach a certain outboard position, and I'm assuming it's the brake switch being energized. I suspect the problem may indeed lie here.

Regarding the seat "kill switch"...I hate it. I'm sure schematically, this ties in somewhere and somehow with the control lever brake switch. Would you guys recommend bypassing/disabling the seat kill switch, and if so, what's the easiest way to do this? Did I mention I hate it?!

Again guys. Thanks for the help/suggestions.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Contact the dealer and ask if they checked the brake module terminals. If they didn't, find another dealer. The system should be diagnosed through the harness at that point.
Most electrical parts replaced are not defective. Just monkeys replacing the first thing they see.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky86 View Post
Contact the dealer and ask if they checked the brake module terminals. If they didn't, find another dealer. The system should be diagnosed through the harness at that point.
Most electrical parts replaced are not defective. Just monkeys replacing the first thing they see.
Good idea. I'll do that. Thanks for the advice.
Old 05-03-2014, 09:59 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ce750jockey View Post
Guys, firstly, thanks for all the suggestions. I'm not a landscaper, just a lowly and frustrated homeowner, so this mower only gets run once a week. But I know enough about cars, batteries and electronics to surmise that it's not a battery issue.

As for the Parking Brake, there isn't a separate brake to set. Just to clarify, this mower is "braked" when you leave the control levers "out". So, I'm guessing there's some kind of "brake" solenoid that gets activated when the levers are in the "out" position, correct? I can hear something electronically activating when the levers reach a certain outboard position, and I'm assuming it's the brake switch being energized. I suspect the problem may indeed lie here.

Regarding the seat "kill switch"...I hate it. I'm sure schematically, this ties in somewhere and somehow with the control lever brake switch. Would you guys recommend bypassing/disabling the seat kill switch, and if so, what's the easiest way to do this? Did I mention I hate it?!

Again guys. Thanks for the help/suggestions.
I leave mine disconnected the seat switch anyways and never seen parking break make mower die ever on my models maybe a newer thing.
Old 05-03-2014, 10:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

If your levers are IN on just about ANY modern mower, and you set the parking brake, it will shut the engine off!

It also won't start if parking brake isn't set.

Still think Jockey's problem lies in the switchs that control the parking brake.
2006 Hustler SuperZ 28EFI 60" Power Chute Design OCDC SOLD!
Perma-green Magnum
1996 48" SCAG Belt WB 14hp Kawasaki Classic Deck
Echo 2 strokes PB-755 & SRM 280
Eastman WM20H 20" Commercial Push mower (NEW for 2013)
Commercial Lawnboy trim mower 3-FOR SALE!http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=424203
Solo since 1980
Old 05-03-2014, 10:47 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLS View Post
If your levers are IN on just about ANY modern mower, and you set the parking brake, it will shut the engine off!

It also won't start if parking brake isn't set.

Still think Jockey's problem lies in the switchs that control the parking brake.
Yeah, that makes sense. I think the idea being that the drive not be engaged with the parking brake on in case the parking brake fails and then the mower start to move with you not on it. But again, since I don't have a separate parking brake, the seat kill switch would serve this function and shut down the mower if it's engaged and I get out of the seat and walk away from the mower.
Old 05-03-2014, 10:53 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yes!

But the real reason for the mowers with separate brake and levers to have this is to prevent someone from trying to drive with the parking brake on! This will damage the hydros REAL quick, and if the brakes don't hold, they'd damage the brakes REAL quick too.

The lever-out brakes is GREAT. I had that on my Hustler SuperZ.....Glad to hear that other manufacturers are starting to use this feature. After 7 years with the Hustler, I still find myself forgetting on the new Lazer!
2006 Hustler SuperZ 28EFI 60" Power Chute Design OCDC SOLD!
Perma-green Magnum
1996 48" SCAG Belt WB 14hp Kawasaki Classic Deck
Echo 2 strokes PB-755 & SRM 280
Eastman WM20H 20" Commercial Push mower (NEW for 2013)
Commercial Lawnboy trim mower 3-FOR SALE!http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=424203
Solo since 1980
Old 05-03-2014, 01:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Did you ask the dealer?