Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-08-2013, 05:49 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

The possibility to burn the grass is higher...milorganite would not be a worry...
Fertilizer on new sod without enough water, is not going to grow squat...especially with not enough water
2 Sears electric weedeaters
1 green machine electric leaf blower
1 sears articulating hedge trimmer-electric
2 50ft power cords
3 Leaf rakes
1 shovel
1 pocket knife
cooler for beer
lawn chair to enjoy a beer while I wait for the cash to be handed to me
Old 08-08-2013, 06:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by turfmd101 View Post
Obviously more water will cause rehydration. Starter fertilizer will aid in root establishment. Why would you not fertilize new sod. MILORGANITE is the best fertilizer used on top of the soil before laying new sod. A starter fertilizer greatly increases turf establishment. Water and fertilisers have different functions.
Milorganite and Ironite have always been my go to's for regular spoon feeding regimens. Low burn risk, minors for great color. On sod jobs I put it down under the sod on a dampened soil bed. Speeds tack down time and doesn't need to be watered in. No trademark odor that way either.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

In 1988 I was renovating old worn out lawns or killing out bermuda lawns and installing St. Aug plugs. In every hole for the plug went 1/2 handful of milorganite then a plug 4" by 4" ( checker board pattern at 20" spacing) . Then applied 0-0-62 SOP right over the top. The irrigation instructions were 1" of water two times per day. First irrigation finishing by 9 am, second irrigation at 3 or 4 pm in the heat of summer to cool the plugs down. This irrigation schedule was until the 15 day inspection on the plugs progress. At the 15 day inspection the runners were running over each other even at the 20" spacing. I then applied 15-5-15 ( LESCO) 50% PPSCU at 1# of N and K per 1,000. I adjusted the irrigation to 1" once every other day unless sufficient rain fall. I then returned in another 15 day's to find the lawn plugs had gained 70% coverage of the soil. I again applied the 15-5-15 at the same rate and adjusted the irrigation to when 60% of the turf area showed signs of wilt to water 1" no matter how many days it took for 60% dry out. Basically to only irrigate when wilt was present. After 3 months the lawns were thick and dense. No fungis no insect pressure some sedge controlled by basagran. I also do not agree that at rate, fertilization of new bermuda will burn it. Roundup has a hard time killing it. Bermuda will easily recover from over fertilization even when newly installed.