Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-03-2013, 03:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

This is why I never post pictures of my trucks loaded. First thing someone says is you're overweight. Even in the mowing trailer threads.

I wish I had the funds to pick up a newer truck. I'm stuck in a 01 2500 now
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-03-2013, 04:04 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantscapeSolutions View Post
It looks like in Texas the fine for being 5K-10K over is $300-$500. Once you hit 10K the fine can go to $1000. I bet the guy who had that ticket had past violations that compounded the ticket.
That is very likely the case since delivering materials all day every day is all he did so the more you drive the more you have a chance to have been pulled over. I'm with you on the highways though despite being 100% legal I won't go near them with a trailer. Who needs that aggravation I knew a guy a few years back that got his CDL and hazmat and got himself a job delivering heating oil. Poor bastard had 4 full inspections in just his first month. The last time the same cop pulled him over said I pulled you over before didn't I? He said yes last week. The cop goes did I find anything? Nope you did not. Well ok then off you go said the cop.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:42 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly's Landscaping View Post
That is very likely the case since delivering materials all day every day is all he did so the more you drive the more you have a chance to have been pulled over. I'm with you on the highways though despite being 100% legal I won't go near them with a trailer. Who needs that aggravation I knew a guy a few years back that got his CDL and hazmat and got himself a job delivering heating oil. Poor bastard had 4 full inspections in just his first month. The last time the same cop pulled him over said I pulled you over before didn't I? He said yes last week. The cop goes did I find anything? Nope you did not. Well ok then off you go said the cop.
I'm glad you mentioned that guys scary ticket. It prompted me to see exactly what the fine would be if I got stopped, weighted, and was over.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 03-03-2013, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know about Texas but here in Washington you could license your truck combination to 40K if you wanted to. The only requirements are that you don't exceed the per axle limits or weight per inch of tire tread width.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Here in va it 30 cent a pound if ur 5 k over ur weight its doubled. The guy who hauls for me last month had a 10000 dollar ticket for overweight just because you can do it dosent mean you should
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-03-2013, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

those cummins are capable of waaaay more than the truck is rated for! i love mine! it's very possible to be within all of your axle weights yet still be far over the weight limit. just don't wanna get caught that way. i've read of guys with a 2500 pulling 33k lbs on a srw truck and say it does just fine
Old 03-03-2013, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawakx125 View Post
those cummins are capable of waaaay more than the truck is rated for! i love mine! it's very possible to be within all of your axle weights yet still be far over the weight limit. just don't wanna get caught that way. i've read of guys with a 2500 pulling 33k lbs on a srw truck and say it does just fine
I had an 02' Ram 2500 before that put down 450/983 on the dyno at the rear wheels. It had 3.73 gears with airbags and I pulled 22K with it many times. The limiting factor is those single rear wheels can only hold so much. On hill climbs even more downward force is being applied. I think it's hard to do much more then 22K on SRW's.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 03-04-2013, 12:13 AM
LawnSite Member

Thats impressive. Im a big cummins fan as well and would love to get a 6.7 someday.
1999 F350 7.3 PSD flatbed
20' enclosed, 16' open, 14' dump
3 Walker MT's 48", Toro Z500 60",
Toro proline 48", Dixon ZTR 42"
Stihl small equipment
SC licensed pesticide applicator
Old 03-04-2013, 08:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantscapeSolutions View Post
I had an 02' Ram 2500 before that put down 450/983 on the dyno at the rear wheels. It had 3.73 gears with airbags and I pulled 22K with it many times. The limiting factor is those single rear wheels can only hold so much. On hill climbs even more downward force is being applied. I think it's hard to do much more then 22K on SRW's.
he may have been 33k total, i can't remember. for that 6.7 check out www.carbonitecummins.com. guy has some good write ups on there
Old 03-04-2013, 08:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by precision8m View Post
Thats impressive. Im a big cummins fan as well and would love to get a 6.7 someday.
they are great motors stock, amazing motors once deleted!