Register free!

Old 07-31-2014, 12:24 AM
LawnSite Member

99.9% Weed Free They Say

What is up with Scott's claiming their seed is 99.9% weed free? Every time I Strip the sod, till the soil, seed, rake, and cover with Pennington's netless mat I get WEEDS!
Am I missing something guys?
Old 07-31-2014, 09:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Seeds in the soil that you till up or stuff blows in on the wind.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Seeds in the topsoil are a common problem, particularly crabgrass. Seeds from past years may persist for several years hidden in your soil.

Scotts carefully cleans and filters their seed--more than most. If you don't mind buying 50 pounds, and paying big bucks, you can even buy "Certified Seed" from the major seed houses. It is normally used for top-quality sod destined for football fields.

However, if you seed in the fall--about when daily high temperatures drop below 83 in August, your chances for success are much higher. Warm soil temps mean that grass seed germinates quickly. Crabgrass and most annual weeds stop growing if nighttime temperatures fall to 50--weeds are seldom a problem.
According to this your weather should be fine for seed about mid August. And your 50 degrees point should be about mid-September.
http://www.weather.com/weather/wxcli...ly/graph/17026

For best results pay more and get more--use sod. If not, be sure to add starter fertilizer and water the new seed every day for 30 days.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks. I will use the chart. I guess April-May and August-September are the best times. I'll start future seedings then.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Soil temperatures are cold in April. Your chances for success are 50 percent better in the fall, because of warm soil temperatures and of reduced weed pressure. Try to start 8 weeks before frost in your town. Also the cool temperatures in fall are far more helpful once the grass comes up--as compared to the hot weather of June which would follow a May seeding.

Once your grass is up in the fall and been mowed at least twice--then you can treat with a crabgrass pre-emergent control the following spring in April. Done right--zero crabgrass in the following year.

I hope it works out OK this fall. A mixture of rye and Kentucky bluegrass is the best bet north of Washington DC.

Last edited by RigglePLC; 08-01-2014 at 10:51 PM. Reason: ps
Old 08-01-2014, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ryegrass does not do well at temps over 90 degrees. Make sure it has less than a half percent of weed seeds. Make sure it claims to be dark green, fine-blade, and disease resistant. Make sure it is not old seed--the test date should be within 6 months. Use plenty of seed--too much is way better than not enough.
Old 08-02-2014, 12:58 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
According to this your weather should be fine for seed about mid August. And your 50 degrees point should be about mid-September.
http://www.weather.com/weather/wxcli...ly/graph/17026

For best results pay more and get more--use sod. If not, be sure to add starter fertilizer and water the new seed every day for 30 days.
How do you change the location to find chicagos average temps
??
Old 08-02-2014, 10:18 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Don't know how to change it.
I Googled "Average temp chicago"
http://www.weather.com/weather/wxcli...graph/USIL0225