The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-19-2014, 04:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo View Post
Bad Boy has mowers at Tractor Supply.
Posted via Mobile Device
TSC only carries Bad boy's very bottom of the line unit, you have to go to a BB dealer to see the other levels of mowers. I think this is where a lot of people make the mistake of thinking the only mower BB makes is the one at TSC, which is, as I said the very bottom of the line up (but still a very good mower for the price point I might add).

BB's top mowers can be equipped with 5-6 ft decks and several different engines. The most powerful being a 35 hp 4 cyl Cat diesel. This mower weighs in at somewhere around a ton.

Last edited by StanWilhite; 03-19-2014 at 04:48 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-19-2014, 04:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm aware of the lower end models, however, I believe that's what Hustler is also doing. First time I've seen BB at TSC. I would expect more of the same kind of marketing with other brands and stores.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-20-2014, 06:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm disappointed to see this, as well. It's good for Hustler in the sense that they are expanding the brand, I suppose. I'd assume you could get the sport and raptor models from the box stores as they are at the high end of the price range and are homeowner grade. I hope to God that Hustler stays true to itself and keeps using quality work and materials in their products. My Fastrak mini 36" was purchased in '08. No idea how many hours it's had. It's not a commercial model, but gets used as one. The only issues I've had were the bearings in the deck spindles going out, and the tensioner got clogged up with dirt and debris to the point that it wouldn't function anymore. All it needed was a good clean. I'd buy another hustler in a heartbeat. I wanted an M1 but didn't get one before they went bye bye.
I guess I'm just disappointed because, as previously stated, Big Dog seemed to be the lower end mowers from Excel Industries
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-20-2014, 12:09 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I don't think they are expanding their brand at all here. They are just trying to survive in today's economy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlawn View Post
I'm disappointed to see this, as well. It's good for Hustler in the sense that they are expanding the brand, I suppose. Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-20-2014, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

This will not affect dealers, at least not a true commercial dealer. The type people even considering buying a mower from a box store have no thought of shopping for a mower at a dealership that caters to the commercial side of the business. Most people thinking of buying a cheap mower just don't figure they have a chance at buying from a high-end dealer, and this is for the fact they believe big box stores have more purchasing power that brings about their cheaper prices. The big box stores can buy cheaper due to the volume they stock in their 100's or 1000's of stores, but most are only allowed to handle up to a certain price point mower from the major manufacturers.

These are two different type customers, and honestly not the type customer my dealer, or true commercial dealer cares to deal with.

The hardware store in my area sells Scag, which is very odd looking when visiting their business. Yes, they sell a mower occasionally, but most go into the next county to buy from a commercial dealer they can depend on for service and parts. This all boils down to the old adage, "you get what you pay for," buy cheap, and you can expect cheap.