Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-08-2014, 04:00 PM
LawnSite Member

How to use GoDaddy, cost, my good experience with it

Still figuring out GoDaddy website builder software but I'm liking it so far. SustainableYardSolutions.com will be live on Thursday, April 10, 2014, link to it if you want, I'd appreciate it. Natural options lawn care, Tree trimming, Snow Removal, and all the rest.

GoDaddy has solid customer support! I've called 2x and had 3-4 minute waits and then good solid English as a first language speakers/experts. The first guy discounted the subscription with his discount by 50% after he said 2 year business version (faster/better/more reliable, supposedly) was $200 and I said, "Do you have anything used?" He caved :hammerhead http://www.lawnsite.com/images/smili...ley-060.gifand I got a 2 year design, host, name ownership package for ~$140.
http://www.lawnsite.com/images/smilies/drinkup.gif

I've spent 5 hours and could go live with a shell and some minimal decent looking content and some bells and whistles, like little boxes that link to other places and what not, photos (3 ), etc..

I initially bought just the domain I wanted for ~$10 and figured to have it if I ever found time to build a site, I then called in to confirm I could take my domain to another host if I ever set up a site, and I then got talked into actually putting up a site. using their website builder.

It was $140 for everything you need; template for you to do your own design, hosting, transferable (in case GoDaddy goes under as these hosts tend to do) name ownership by YOU, not them, for 2 years.) Don't be afraid to ask for the discount your friend got, call back if you get a newbie who can't figure it out. Hope that helps someone.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:33 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenSpot View Post
in case GoDaddy goes under as these hosts tend to do
I despise GoDaddy as much as anyone, but I'm not sure I follow you on this one.

GoDaddy is known for being highly negotiable and having coupons galore. Best of luck with your site and future experience. I think you'll find that the experienced folks have a different view of their hosting and site builder. If you go back through this sub-forums archives, you might find some helpful tidbits.

Tony
Lancaster, Pa

Last edited by tonygreek; 04-08-2014 at 04:40 PM.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Do you own a domain?
My point is, for a business owner, GoDaddy's option for me to own the domain name allows a better chance for continuity because every so often a host closes shop, sometimes suddenly, and if you lose your domain in that process because they owned it and you didn't, you have some choices to make. If the host owns the name, it can complicate things. Saving that hassle is ok with me.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Lol do you own a domain? Guess you don't spend any time in this forum.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-08-2014, 06:09 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Do you own a domain?
Yep, I have a domain or two.

Quote:
My point is, for a business owner, GoDaddy's option for me to own the domain name allows a better chance for continuity because every so often a host closes shop, sometimes suddenly, and if you lose your domain in that process because they owned it and you didn't, you have some choices to make. If the host owns the name, it can complicate things. Saving that hassle is ok with me.
This is a good topic to cover. So that people don't get confused, there are two, distinctly separate aspects to what you are talking about. With any host, you are allowed to own your own domain and point it to a web host's server. A domain can be acquired from any legitimate domain registrar. A host can be both a registrar and a traditional web host (I'll get to why that might not be the best idea in a sec.). I can register my domain with GoDaddy and point it to the web hosting servers of ASmallOrange. No problem in doing that.

GoDaddy, originally know for being a registrar, expanded their business by offering web hosting services, so they can be both registrar and host. (editorial: they're just not very good at this, but their ease of integrated services, as a one-stop-shop, is pretty enticing to those who aren't familiar with their service levels).

This is the preferred course of action:

1. Buy a domain name from X.
2. Get a web host from Y.

The benefit to having a domain name exist in one place, and a domain name in another, allows for unfettered access to one or the other, at any given time, which does reinforce continuity (counter to your perception). If, for example, both the domain name and web host happen to be provided by a company that serves as both domain registrar and web host, your scenario where something happens is a very real issue (their routers blow up, company shuts down, comes under a DDoS attack, whatever). You potentially could lose access to your domain name and your web site. GoDaddy's customers, quite famously, experienced this "all your eggs in one basket" issue in Q4 of 2012.

So, for local service companies, would it be wise to separate out your web services? Only if you feel your site, and email, are mission-critical components to your business. If not, you can probably ride out any issues until everything comes back on line.

And never let your web guy own your domain.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

So the thing with GoDaddy is that their customer service staff is pretty awesome at first. They used to be based in Scottsdale, not sure if they still are, but I got to really enjoy talking to folks with a clear grasp of the English language, and they were pretty chill about most of my needs, with only a gently pushy selly-sell at the end of the call.

When GoDaddy starts screwing the pooch, however, you get a lot of conversations with very friendly, very pleasant folks telling you in clear, unaccented English that "our engineers are aware of the problem and working hard to resolve it. No, I don't have any other info. No, we don't know when your site will be back up. Well, we can give you a $3 bill credit for the downtime you've experienced today..."
Old 04-08-2014, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Had Godaddy for 2-3 years no problems. I built this site within a few hrs on a late tired night. wwww.whitehillslandscaping.com I cherry picked everything little thing and there are a million ways to make one or to make a custom one.

"Money & Power leads to Greed and usually ends with Corruption."

" I don't blame our industry to be looked down at because most of the people either couldn't keep a stable job or were criminals."

" A LEADER will always have more haters than a FOLLOWER."
Old 04-09-2014, 12:13 AM
LawnSite Member

Godaddy's servers are so overloaded, your website will still be loading while the customer is calling your competitor. I don't understand if you are paying them $140 total for two years of hosting or $140/mo for them to use a template and put your info on there?? Either way, you are still paying too much.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:26 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA GrassChoppers View Post
Godaddy's servers are so overloaded, your website will still be loading while the customer is calling your competitor. I don't understand if you are paying them $140 total for two years of hosting or $140/mo for them to use a template and put your info on there?? Either way, you are still paying too much.
This is true my "customers lawn photo's" loaded 20 seconds slower then my competitor and my new customer chose them as she said sorry to me.

"Money & Power leads to Greed and usually ends with Corruption."

" I don't blame our industry to be looked down at because most of the people either couldn't keep a stable job or were criminals."

" A LEADER will always have more haters than a FOLLOWER."