Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-15-2006, 11:01 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Lateral Line Reroute

Here's some pictures from a lateral line reroute that Leo and I completed yesterday in 103 degree heat.

Picture #1: Concrete pad with tree wells was poured at Easter break. A lateral line to a planter went through the area and was clearly marked for the contractors. However, instead of installing normal expansion joints they decided to saw cut the joints in after the concrete hardened. By doing this they cut right through the lateral line in several places creating a huge leak that came up through every joint.

Picture #2: The route between the valve and the planter is now blocked by the concrete. Only way around the slab is through the adjacent kindergarten play box that is filled with "softfall" which is basically washed wood chips.

Picture #3: Softfall was moved out of the way with the Bobcat so trenching could be done.

Picture #4: Decided to try and plan ahead by running the 1" line for the planters and an additional 1-1/4" line in the event the site wants the remaining grass area next to the concrete slab irrigated. Since that area never had irrigation in it this would be classified as a "new project" requiring Area Administrator approval, budgeting and ultimately the money would come out of the site's budget.

Picture #5: Leo boring under a 4' sidewalk to complete the reroute and reconnect the planter's line. Since it was such a short bore we used a device that is primarily used to water jet main line trenches. It worked slick by adding a small piece of 1" pipe to the end and then cutting it off at a sharp angle. It took maybe five minutes to bore this sidewalk and we didn't have to mess around with our normal boring equipment.
Attached Images

Old 07-15-2006, 05:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Been there done that, lol! (and it works 97% of the time) we jetted driveways & sidewalks since i started my career up until a few weeks ago when i broke out and bought a dingo with a boring attachment..
My local competition would help me run some bores larger that 1" a few years ago, but they quit helping me i guess because i was taking alot of their desired installs. Ive been really lucky i havent had more of a need until now for the boring attachment, im sure if i was hard pressed i could have found some funds to buy one a while back, i had to wait till right time & im glad i did.

btw i like using 3/4" galvanized pipe for the jet, with a non adjustable brass nozzle for the end. the 3/4" galvanized thread couplings on the end of the stick gave the jet the right amount to stick a 1" pvc pipe though, with wire too if needed. had a 5' stick for sidewalks and a 10' for driveways...

Since 1994
www.kosterirrigation.com