Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-02-2015, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBrosLawn View Post
looks great man, my 2 year plan is to buy land build a house with my shop on it, my shop is a pain to get into and its in the city.
what percent of your income is fert, gras and snow dont want hard numbers just %
I don't have 2014 figured up yet but roughly 30% fert, 35% mowing, 35% landscaping, mulch, snow. Landscape work is on the rise.

Quote:
Whats wrong with your Z in the back of this picture.
It was getting a face lift. It got new wheel/castor bearings, hopper cable, fuel shutoff, idler arm/bearings/pulley, paint, fluids/filters and plugs. Oh and any electrical fitting that showed corrosion got a heat shrink fitting rather than the cheap crimp connectors it comes with. It is like a brand new machine now

Quote:
Nice mowers!! Hows the exmark working out for you? Does it have the Kawasaki or kohler efi? We have one with the kohler efi. Wish had more power when mowing thick grass. Our Kawasaki has more power but drinks more gas. 1600 hours and still no break downs. Love them exmarks.
Yeah, the Exmark is amazing. Most reliable machine I have ever owned. It has the 29HP Kawi. Actually it is on it's second engine because the first one dropped a valve and punched a hole right through the block. Other than that, I think the only thing I have replaced on it is 2 throttle cables and a seat switch. It has over 2100 hrs now.. original belts and spindles are tight as new, deck has very little play.
Old 02-12-2015, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Member

That looks amazing!

New England
Old 02-12-2015, 10:40 AM
LawnSite Member

A few questions...

1) You seem very happy with your Exmark, but I remember you saying a while ago that you'd be interested in getting a Scag or Deere or something else for when the grass is damp in the mornings. Do you still feel that way or are you becoming more satisfied with your Lazer?

2) Is the Gator still the best method you've found for spreading mulch. How about snow? Boss vs. Powertach plow? Would you still make the purchase again or would you do something else even if it was a little more money? Would a tractor or mini skid steer be easier for spreading mulch or would a truck plow be better for snow? Curious what you've found to be most efficient.

3) Lastly, how is that sweet shop coming along? You're the king of quality set ups and I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it!
Old 02-14-2015, 12:43 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smassengill View Post
A few questions...

1) You seem very happy with your Exmark, but I remember you saying a while ago that you'd be interested in getting a Scag or Deere or something else for when the grass is damp in the mornings. Do you still feel that way or are you becoming more satisfied with your Lazer?

2) Is the Gator still the best method you've found for spreading mulch. How about snow? Boss vs. Powertach plow? Would you still make the purchase again or would you do something else even if it was a little more money? Would a tractor or mini skid steer be easier for spreading mulch or would a truck plow be better for snow? Curious what you've found to be most efficient.

3) Lastly, how is that sweet shop coming along? You're the king of quality set ups and I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it!
The Lazer will cut wet grass nicely if it is thin or light growth(only cutting an inch or so off). If it is a lush, thick lawn in the spring and it is covered in morning dew then it will make one heck of a clumped up mess. That is the Ultracut's major downside. I work around this by starting on thinner lawns or small lawns where I can easily blow out the clumps. It cant be beat when its dry though. Even if its overgrown, thin, or weedy where other decks sometimes struggle. My only other real complaint would be that the ride is rough.

The gator goes on every mulch job over 3 yards unless there is a fence. I love it for mulch, I hate wheelbarrows. On the bigger jobs (8+ yards) I will be taking the gator and the MT55 this year. The mulch bucket fits between my gator bed sides perfectly

The John Deere(made by Brinly Hardy Co) Powertach blade that I initially had for my gator was so pathetic. Overpriced, underbuilt, poor hydraulics. The plow has no bottom bracing. The mount is designed around the brush guard. All the bracing is up too high when it should be down low where the pushing takes place. I mangled two mounts before moving on to the Boss. No comparison. The boss is just like a small truck plow. It has around 12 grade 8 bolts in the bottom frame where JD uses one bolt!

The gator pushes snow extremely well, but it is cold without a glass cab. For this reason, my next UTV will have a cab/heat or a small pickup would be better. I also get tired of having to trailer it. I prefer snow blowers for small 2 car driveways, but the gator is much better for the bigger ones.

Nothing too exciting with the shop. I did run air lines on the walls this winter so I have compressed air on 3 reels mounted up high. I want to get a bigassfan, but they're 5 grand. My heater has had no problem keeping up this winter. It's well insulated!
Old 02-14-2015, 09:09 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Shop 100% finished yet? Really want to see how you set it up.
Shindaiwa and Kawasaki Handhelds (with 2 stihls)
Lesco #80 SS spreader and BP sprayer
Toro 18" snowblower
Quality Steel 62"x96" utility trailer with overhead basket, JJ trimmer racks, and hand tool rack.
Corona, Jackson, and True Temper hand tools/wheel barrels, Green Barrels, and too many Nice shop tools.

Lets max out the hits explains my post count….
Click here for my work thread
The kid who does it all, and does it all quite well.
Old 02-15-2015, 01:37 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawasaki guy View Post
Shop 100% finished yet? Really want to see how you set it up.
I'll try to get some here soon.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-03-2015, 04:15 AM
LawnSite Member

Anyone else have a picture of there shop? I
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-03-2015, 02:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Here is a new one they designed for us I would like to build, it's 54' x 62' I think with 14' doors.
Attached Images