Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-02-2013, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboawd View Post
should have punched more holes into bottom
That wasn't the issue, our clay holds rain water horribly. It made it a pain to grade. Not to mention a 3 ft diameter oak on top of a hill that I couldn't cut into. So the hill sloped back to the house. I ended up cutting a swale and installing a drain

I HATE clay
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-02-2013, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have filled a few in also... the largest took 28 laods to fill it... It was at an apartment complex. Looks good to this day. Cut large holes in the bottom of the deep end, cut the sides down 2' and pulled them in as we filled it. The deck we hauled away as the concrete dump was not that far away. Took about 4 days to complete as I couldnt get the truck to the pool and had to use a T300 bobcat to move ALL the dirt to the pool. After we filled it in, threw some sod on it and called it good.. never settled in we filled it in little by little and tracked it in the whole way..
Old 02-02-2013, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Member

This video may be helpful..
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=p2GpV...feature=relmfu
Old 02-02-2013, 11:50 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have done a few. Punched hole with breaker from backhoe. Then started filling and tamping every 6-8 inches. The last one we did we hauled in dirt the last six inches and the burned dirt up and around and landscaped the entire pool. Looks cool!
Old 02-03-2013, 08:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the info. I did watch about 6 pool demo's on Youtube that were helpful. They've been customers for twenty some years...think I'll give them a ballpark price since I haven't done one before. I'm sure both parties will be happy after it's done.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:05 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

It's not a hard job by any means. I used an e42 with a breaker. And a t110-190 for moving full dirt. I have a picture thread here somewhere to get you an idea.

The easiest way is to bust one wall down and walk the ex in to the pool. Then pull the walls into you. Make sure power is taken out of the breaker. We had a cut off saw on site to help with stubborn rebar. It's a simple job just take your time.

Fill dirt can be found for free. It rained so much during my project we hardly used a compactor except for against the will. The machines compacted the middle from running in and out.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-03-2013, 11:44 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I like the part where the homeowner paid someone to fill the pool, then paid tom to dig it up and fill it again!
If you can back the dump truck up to the pool, be safe and have a reliable spotter. Pops stood his c60 up on the tailgate in the deep end of a pool. Luckily we had a concrete truck on site and tugged it out.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-16-2013, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Did that pool job this month. Took a couple hundred tons of fill...more than I estimated (guess I compacted it better than I thought I would), but my friend came out of a commercial job he was doing for $70 a tandem.

Busted up the concrete around the edges with the Takkie and some heavy forks, then stacked it in the bottom. Left the 4' metal liner around perimeter, but took the top edge and rolled it over like a sardine can with the bucket to get it below grade. Bottom was a vinyl liner on top of compacted sand.

Used some Power Tan to fill the rest of the way, and run the landscape rake. That machine has some power, but it's loud inside the cab - even with earplugs and earmuffs. Can't see very well out of those machines either.

Thanks again for the advice. Worked out well.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Member

This Is one I did a few years back. Punched a bunch of holes in the bottom, took down 2 foot of wall and bent re-bar over with the breaker. Then pushed sidewalk in . We compacted it and it took around 200 yards of fill. Then 4'' of top soil. Think we charged 7000.00 .
Name:  pool demo.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  28.4 KB

Name:  pool demo1.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  20.5 KB