Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-26-2014, 03:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighthouse Lawncare View Post
I was given a spreadsheet with a great breakdown. I do not remember from whom I received it. I can not attach a spreadsheet here so if you want I can email it to you.
Would you mind e-mailing it to me as well? cowen.craig@gmail.com Thanks!
Old 01-26-2014, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighthouse Lawncare View Post
I was given a spreadsheet with a great breakdown. I do not remember from whom I received it. I can not attach a spreadsheet here so if you want I can email it to you.
Lighthouse could you plese email me the spread sheet as well. joehatfield84@gmail.com

Thanks for the help
Old 01-27-2014, 12:34 AM
LawnSite Member

I only use walk behind equipment, aerator, power rake, edger, mowers and handhelds as well. I'm in this part time, I figure with insurance. business licences, workman's comp, telephone, accountant, dump fees (flat yearly fee), ect, it costs me $12 to show up at your door. I have calculated that it is another $10/hour to operate the equipment on the average; this includes depreciation and fuel as well as gloves, garbage bags and everything else. The only extra cost is when edging I will go thru a blade about 100 to150 feet but that extra cost is covered in the pricing. Remember even using a shovel or a rake or broom costs money, as they need to be purchased, hauled and replaced when worn out. Don't forget your truck and trailer costs including depreciation costs. So I show up and cut your lawn (30 minutes) for $40 dollars it costs me $12 to show up plus $5 equipment cost. I have made $23 dollars before taxes. Allowing for 10 minutes travel time between cuts an 8 hour day is about 12 cuts. 12 x 40=480, 480-(12x12)-(12x5)=x 480-144-60=x 480-204=276 276/8=34.50/hour.
Old 02-01-2014, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Member

hey there,
I would love that sheet and any other excel spread sheets . I trying to come up with costs also.
love this site ,just learning how it works.
Old 02-02-2014, 11:25 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

When calculating equipment are you using the hours on a machine or the billable hours in the field?

Example... Mower that gets 400 hours of use and $4000 annual cost is $10/hr or $4000/1300 billable hours by a solo guy is $3.07?
Old 02-02-2014, 04:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmasterswilson View Post
When calculating equipment are you using the hours on a machine or the billable hours in the field?

Example... Mower that gets 400 hours of use and $4000 annual cost is $10/hr or $4000/1300 billable hours by a solo guy is $3.07?
But what about the truck, trailer, handhelds? Don't forget depreciation, interest costs if applicable ect ect.
Old 02-02-2014, 04:42 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuttled View Post
But what about the truck, trailer, handhelds? Don't forget depreciation, interest costs if applicable ect ect.
Yeah. The mower was just an example. I would obviously go through all the equipment.

What I'm unsure of is it better to use the annual hours put on a piece of equipment or use the billable hours from labor to get your per hour cost.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Equipment Cost

Lighthouse.. I would love if would email a copy of your spreadsheet to me to... creativecurbappealinc@yahoo.com
Old 02-03-2014, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Member

People spend thousands of dollars on equipment but will not spend a couple hundred bucks on business education. Buy the Profits R Us program and call it a day. Don't be like most other contractors and just take a wild guess at figuring out pricing and recovering your costs. We bought the whole program and it's one of the best things we have done for our business.

Tags
accounting , business advice , cost of work , estimation