Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-21-2006, 04:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Problem with BR600

I bought a BR600 last fall. I've had a couple of problems with it this year. A few weeks ago, it started shocking me through the handle and started just randomly cutting off. Well, took it back to the dealer the next day, and they put some new parts on it which fixed it. Well, it started cutting off again at random times. Not shocking me, just cutting off. It will do it at full throttle, mid throttle, or just idling. Doesn't matter, it will just cut off. It will also crank back up, as long as you go through the whole choking process again. Has anyone else had this problem? Or is this just a freak thing?
Old 05-21-2006, 06:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

just picked up 3 of them...hope I don't have the same problems!
Old 05-21-2006, 06:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Try to isolate whether it is the on/off switch/cabling problem or carb....disconnect the kill switch and see if you continue to have the problem.
Old 05-21-2006, 06:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You have a bad ground somewhere. The motor is turned off by grounding the ignition (this is what the on/off switch does). So if the motor is cutting out I would more than likely say that there is a wire somewhere that has the insulation worn off and is grounding out somewhere.
Old 05-22-2006, 12:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I guess I need to take it back to the dealer again...crap. I hate taking it back there. They do fast work, but it taked Stihl two days to send stuff in.
Old 05-22-2006, 07:48 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'm not that familiar with Stihl blowers, but I have worked on a number of Shindiawa and Echo backpack blowers. As far as I know the kill switch is set up similarly on all of them. There are two wires running from the handle, one to a ground, the other to the CD pack. With the situation that you are describing, intermittent cutting out, I have found bare wires on the bottom side where they are routed to back side of the blower. Most frequently this is a result of dropping the blower on top of other equipment in a truck or trailer. It could also be a result of pulling the unit out of a storage area and catching the wires on something. As a result, part of a wire is bared permitting the unit to ground out intermittently.

A loose ground terminal or loose spade connection at the CD pack would not allow the unit to shut off.

I would think you have a bare wire someplace grounding to the frame but your mileage may vary.

Dutch
Old 05-22-2006, 04:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Took it by the dealer today. Found out it was the ignition coil causing the problem. It wasn't throwing any spark. Hopefully, this will end my problems. Other than the past two weeks, this blower has been great. I'm sure you'll be happy Bunton Guy.
Old 05-22-2006, 05:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ignition coils seldom go bad, but it looks like ya got one of the crappy ones that did go.