Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-24-2014, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend cut easymoney View Post
Pardon... Revamping irrigation toward more efficient technology and repair. We also had some big opportunities present themselves here for large installations...Austin slowed down, but not near as .much as elsewhere.
Posted via Mobile Device

huh… yea I did ALOT of irrigation "upgrades" in the 07-09 time frame too, made up a huge portion go my revivable at that time, so much so I shifted my focus to water management.
Interesting.
Old 05-24-2014, 11:54 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post
huh… yea I did ALOT of irrigation "upgrades" in the 07-09 time frame too, made up a huge portion go my revivable at that time, so much so I shifted my focus to water management.
Interesting.
Water management here has been tough as its been cheap in past... Changing peoples thinking has been difficult... ...our city is about to enact restrictions that are going to wake folks up to using better technology by making it tough to use conventional spray heads etc.

What boggles my mind is how difficult the city makes it to get historical water usage data and how most property managers won't simply share water bill usage... We have to read the meters manually...enter into a chart to track
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-25-2014, 03:25 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Water management here has been tough as its been cheap in past... Changing peoples thinking has been difficult... ...our city is about to enact restrictions that are going to wake folks up to using better technology by making it tough to use conventional spray heads etc.

What boggles my mind is how difficult the city makes it to get historical water usage data and how most property managers won't simply share water bill usage... We have to read the meters manually...enter into a chart to track
Posted via Mobile Device
yea water restrictions are going to be a reality in a lot of states in the next several years. even states that aren't know for being 'hot and dry;.
Old 05-25-2014, 05:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Wow, here we charge around $300 per month for weekly mowing... I couldn't imagine 300 per season bi - weekly. I was charging more than that in my first year... When I was lowballing
Grande Prairie, AB Canada
rosgrounds.com

Echo
2 x trimmers
hedge trimmer
backpack blower
chainsaw
Honda
Mid-tine roto-tiller
Yanmar
sx3100 compact tractor FEL
Exmark
2 x Commercial 30 mowers
Classen
TR-20 power rake
Bluebird
Aerator
John Deere
zero turn
2 x 22" JS38 mowers
Ryan
power rake
Cub Cadet
lawn vacuum/shredder/chipper
Craftsman
45" snowblower
[B]On Order:
Old 05-26-2014, 06:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROS_Grounds View Post
Wow, here we charge around $300 per month for weekly mowing... I couldn't imagine 300 per season bi - weekly. I was charging more than that in my first year... When I was lowballing
I have some contacts that are $800+ for only maintenance. A couple in the $400 range, but we are talking about jobs that can be done in 10-20 minutes with 1 employee.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-26-2014, 06:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Install work is high margin typically... Maintenance pays bills and can provided good longterm income.
Posted via Mobile Device
Im trying my best to have a higher margin, but ive been struggling with a lack of equipment and good employees. The best landscaping tools I have are shovels and wheelbarrows. I run a solo truck with an enclosed trailer too which makes moving materials difficult. I used to do larger installs working for a construction company but ended up losing my arse on a few jobs. I worked 6 months and barely broke even doing the larger stuff. It was to Much for me to take on with such a small setup.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-30-2014, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

34 houses with one helper today... Honestly I could have done a couple more but I only have 34.
Posted via Mobile Device