Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-02-2013, 11:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Soaking the roots is usually for plants that have been shipped and allowed to dry out. If these bushes are moved in one day or healed in and planted later soaking isn't needed. Air pockets in the root zone aren't really a problem. We charge people to put air pockets in the root zone of their lawns all the time. Watering is a bit of an art. Most plant losses in the landscape are either too much (amount or frequency) or too little water. When the plant leafs out in Spring, insufficient water causes smaller leaves. Up to a point more water and food will give larger leaves. Any damaged roots can be pruned before replanting.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

How dehydrated does a bush get, when taken out of the ground for t-plant... soaking in a bucket of water is done around here for all hardwooded plant after "transport" home from the nursery...

Air pockets from a t-plant, is very important and has not to do with aerating established over grown plant that have grown in the same spot for years...

The mixing of apples and oranges are really rampant in planting shrubs...
No wonder the comments are made about,,, "don't move it to another property, becuz it never works"...

My transplanting success rate has been near 100% , whether from one side of the yard to the other or from across town...
Never would I shy away from t-planting anything for a client unless it is too large and requires a spade truck...