Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-10-2013, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

In all seriousness I'd look into picking up a used WAM to tackle something like that.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-10-2013, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

You've been watching Gold Rush Alaska, haven't you?
Old 04-11-2013, 02:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

You guys know my typing skills are 4 $hit ok.

Seriously I am looking at some real money here, Just kinking this job around not really looking to be kicked back here. This new property is going to be added to a account I have had for 9 years. So it is not a given but I have a very good chance at it if I want it. I have looked at the Hustler 104 and the cost is higher than a Excalibur. This job could pay for a new DC in 9 mowers, Or a low hour used in 7 mows. I owe nothing now on any of my equipment. My compact tractor with the 2 wings is not used now and I need to us it or sell it. I can not see the cost of even a used WAM when I have one that I know should go many years with this job 6 to 8 hour day once a week.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:36 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StockmanLawnscape View Post
There are a lot of variables to consider. How long would the contract be for? You would be taking a risk buying a new 74" mower for one account. What happens if they drop you for a lowballer after this year? Would you still have enough work for the 74" mower to be financially feasible for your business if you lost this account? Sometimes buying equipment for a big account works out, but always think about the situation if it doesn't. Also, do you have employees lined up? Can they be trained quick enough so they wouldn't mess up the property? Lots and lots of questions that only you can answer. Just my opinion. Good Luck!
I agree. If you want to stay solo then this isn't the job for you. You need more equipment and labor for this one job for what could be just one year. Every year we all go into the season ready to take on every job that comes our way but being solo, as I am also, you have to know your limits.

I would sub it out to someone you know and trust that has the crew and equipment to get it done.

I got a call the other day for a landscaping job. Met the customer at the site and after 5 mins talking to them I knew it was way too much for just me to get done in the timespan they wanted. I called a buddy of mine that has the labor and equipment to get it done and will sub him out.

Nothing is final yet but that is the plan.

Hope it all works out for you.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:48 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'm too old to even consider an account like that, but if I were not, I'd look at two things: Length of contract, and the equipment costs. Larger mowers would be great for huge areas, but, I'm guessing, are also much more difficult to sell used as it is a much more limited market. What I'm saying is I'd have to have a multiple year contract to consider purchasing a high-dollar piece of specialized equipment that I would likely take a bath on if I only used it one season, then lost the contract. Good luck to you.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:09 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

You answered your own question.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Orangemower maybe yes maybe no, But Moturkey hit a good point. Its not as much my age but my health. I am soon to be 60 years old, retired with full pension and health benefits and the wife still working. Hey now there is a plan the wife and I take this on. I know if I was younger and with better health this is a opportunity knocking on my door I would love to jump on. I am wondering how old you are Moturkey if you don't mind?

This new property is not intended to stay mostly vacant for much over 2 or 3 years. There is a hopeful plan for a major developer to take it over. But no one is very hopeful of who and when this might happen. I can't get to wrapped up in fear of me over investing in equipment that I would be saddled with for long. (IT could happen but not likely).