Register free!

Old 08-12-2014, 12:44 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
You might mow one acre of Florida lawn with a 21" in an hour, but you won't repeat it several times a day. And I have my doubts about the one.

Florida has no hills? It may not have mountains, but there are plenty of steep lawns and I'm willing to bet they rival anything you guys do up north. And I have a bunch of them.
Just saying it's doable. And when compared to 48 inch ztr 1.5 hrs don't compute I have worked in 105-110 index and 90 percent humidity before in MI and I trimmed shrubs for 10 hrs and drank 6 gals of fluid. With proper hydration I was fine. If it was just water I would of died. That said you all can have Florida lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-12-2014, 09:29 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'm originally from up north too and yes you get some hot days BUT comparing Michigan weather to Florida weather is absurd. Try that 10 hour day you mentioned for 5 straight months. Would be like me complaining to you about the two frosts we had the past two years and comparing my winter to yours

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
Just saying it's doable. And when compared to 48 inch ztr 1.5 hrs don't compute I have worked in 105-110 index and 90 percent humidity before in MI and I trimmed shrubs for 10 hrs and drank 6 gals of fluid. With proper hydration I was fine. If it was just water I would of died. That said you all can have Florida lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-12-2014, 11:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I just wanted to clarify, it's mow, edge, trim and blow everything away. Not just mow. I'm going to time how long it takes me to do everything this week when I service the account as I'm going to estimate it takes me about thirty minutes to mow alone as everything is striped and double cut.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-12-2014, 01:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Cornwallis View Post
I just wanted to clarify, it's mow, edge, trim and blow everything away. Not just mow. I'm going to time how long it takes me to do everything this week when I service the account as I'm going to estimate it takes me about thirty minutes to mow alone as everything is striped and double cut.
Posted via Mobile Device
That is something you should stress to the customer becasue few people do that.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-12-2014, 01:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl-landscapes View Post
I'm originally from up north too and yes you get some hot days BUT comparing Michigan weather to Florida weather is absurd. Try that 10 hour day you mentioned for 5 straight months. Would be like me complaining to you about the two frosts we had the past two years and comparing my winter to yours Posted via Mobile Device
Yes it was an abnormal summer that one year for us. But like I said you can have Florida lol one of my workers was from northern mi and complained when it got over 85. The year before was when it 104 and that whole week was over 100. No I can't imagine doing this every day in that heat. Sure the skin pores are healthy though lol
Old 08-12-2014, 05:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Hi we have a number of different machines all doing different types of lawns/ fields. The most efficient are the Ransomes Parkways which can cut up to seven acres per hour but are great on smaller lawns too. When using the Parkway we charge Ä170.00 per hour. It may sound high but it gets through some amount of grass very quickly. They are expensive to buy new but they last a long time. Our oldest one is 9 years old and has 4000 hours on the clock, still works great. (All have air conditioned cabs fitted)
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-13-2014, 05:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks the the replies everyone. From what I've gathered I'm high but not for what I'm doing. I think what I will do is price an acre lot at $55/cut with the option to double cut for better results for an extra $20. That would out me right in line to make 50 an hour.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-14-2014, 03:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Thanks the the replies everyone. From what I've gathered I'm high but not for what I'm doing. I think what I will do is price an acre lot at $55/cut with the option to double cut for better results for an extra $20. That would out me right in line to make 50 an hour.
Posted via Mobile Device
Sounds like you got it figured out now. Now you just have to get that drive time down
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-14-2014, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I mowed my one acre lot today that I used as an example earlier in the thread. It took me right at 1.62 hours to mow, edge, trim and blow. It took me around 50 min to just mow (including double cut). I was mowing at the maximum speed possible, which is fairly quick on this property as it's pretty level. I'm also very efficient with the hand held's so, no time could be trimmed off there. If I was single cutting I would be right on the mark money wise for what I bid.

Knowing what I know now and seeing the direction I am trying to take my business in, my next mower will definitely be a 460 Diesel. My father has a Dixie Chopper with the 35hp CAT and 74in deck; I'm not sure what sort of difference that would make time wise on a 1 acre lot, but I know on our 48 acre ranch, it really tears through some acreage.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I mowed my one acre lot today that I used as an example earlier in the thread. It took me right at 1.62 hours to mow, edge, trim and blow. It took me around 50 min to just mow (including double cut). I was mowing at the maximum speed possible, which is fairly quick on this property as it's pretty level. I'm also very efficient with the hand held's so, no time could be trimmed off there. If I was single cutting I would be right on the mark money wise for what I bid.

Knowing what I know now and seeing the direction I am trying to take my business in, my next mower will definitely be a 460 Diesel. My father has a Dixie Chopper with the 35hp CAT and 74in deck; I'm not sure what sort of difference that would make time wise on a 1 acre lot, but I know on our 48 acre ranch, it really tears through some acreage.
Keep the 48 if you are going that route. I have 2 60 inch diesel ztrs. I want a 48 or 52 stander for lawns smaller than a acre. Also pay attention to the cooling system. So far Kubota, john Deere, and walker have the best cooling systems I've seen. You don't want an overheating diesel and one you have to clean the radiator every 30 min. The biggest reason for diesel is fuel savings.
Posted via Mobile Device