Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-15-2014, 07:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardengnome View Post
Alright smartass! You want people to take you serious? Tkae your age out of your sig line and get serious about what you are doing! There is an incredible amount of worthless BS on this forum but with some searching there is also a lot of useful info.

Maybe $25/30 per hour works for you at this time, but know that most of us won't drop the ramp for $25.00. So let me give you some pointers:
  • what is your equipment cost? i.e. how much did you pay, how long will it last and how much will it be worth when you trade it in. You should know this for every piece of equipment!
  • How long does it take you to perform a task? I'm talking everything! Edging, trimming, mowing (each mower), blowing, mulching, weeding. Make sure you include retrieving from and reloading to the truck/trailer). You need this info to estimate your jobs. Long term it is much more important to meet or beat your estimated times than it is to calculate how much you made per hour.
  • Make sure you include the time needed to load/unload your trailer; the time you need to sell your services; the time needed to do your admin work. These are all costs of doing business and as such come out of your profit unles you plan for them and include them in your hourly rate (notice I did not say wage!!)

And perhaps you should ask yourself why you get told the "same thing over and over". Perhaps it is because you didn't listen? Look, if you are just making pocket change while you're in school (or, as some others, have a full time job) nobody cares for you because you're stealing our bread and butter and you should have the decency to at least act professional. If you're in this to make your mark and have your own real company, get your sh*t together, learn and implement! There'll be plenty who will want to help if you'll listen. I'll be glad to talk to you in person if you need someone to bounce questions of. Send me a PM if you do.
So lets just say for example I raise my rates to about $60/hour. Then my $20 properties become $30-35 properties, then how would the homeowner feel about that? I would feel like a bad businessman to raise rates that much, i have thought about saying $25 on those particular properties, but i can't get myself to do it. And i want to continue this after school, i might have to stop for a few years when i go to college, because if i am away for a few years i wont be able to do it. Your right, i am stubborn, and don't take advice well. I know you guys on here(talking towards the professionals and similar) probably don't like me because of my rates and probably now the way i act because i get an attitude pretty fast, because it's bad for the industry. If i was just doing this a few years would i have probably made an account on here? No. I try to act professional, but what can i say, I'm 16. I'm a kid, i know that. I get told i look older and act more mature, at least for my age. People are surprised to here me say I'm only 16 because i act more mature and older than i am. I'm not saying this to be a jerk, I'm saying this because this is what people(customers) tell me. It's hard to say something in a specific tone through words and not face to face or even over the phone(talkiong about my posts on LS). I think i should probably just stop for a while on here until i get my S**t together. And act more grown up. Because obviously I'm doing a lot of things wrong. You can pm me if you want to talk some more about this or anything else really. BTW thanks for the tips
Old 05-15-2014, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Member

And you have an attitude!

You need to figure out what you need to charge to make a profit, Based on our equipment line up that may not be $60 and your market may not carry that anyway. You need to read what I said ref. pricing.
I offered to help you if you want, that means you contact me, not the other way around. I'm Done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalz View Post
So lets just say for example I raise my rates to about $60/hour. Then my $20 properties become $30-35 properties, then how would the homeowner feel about that? I would feel like a bad businessman to raise rates that much, i have thought about saying $25 on those particular properties, but i can't get myself to do it. And i want to continue this after school, i might have to stop for a few years when i go to college, because if i am away for a few years i wont be able to do it. Your right, i am stubborn, and don't take advice well. I know you guys on here(talking towards the professionals and similar) probably don't like me because of my rates and probably now the way i act because i get an attitude pretty fast, because it's bad for the industry. If i was just doing this a few years would i have probably made an account on here? No. I try to act professional, but what can i say, I'm 16. I'm a kid, i know that. I get told i look older and act more mature, at least for my age. People are surprised to here me say I'm only 16 because i act more mature and older than i am. I'm not saying this to be a jerk, I'm saying this because this is what people(customers) tell me. It's hard to say something in a specific tone through words and not face to face or even over the phone(talkiong about my posts on LS). I think i should probably just stop for a while on here until i get my S**t together. And act more grown up. Because obviously I'm doing a lot of things wrong. You can pm me if you want to talk some more about this or anything else really. BTW thanks for the tips

Old 05-15-2014, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

don't listen to all this crap on lawnsite. you can do whatever you want to do. it's still a free country the last time I checked.

$25/hr is a lot of money for a 16 year old. when I was 16 I made about $5 an hour working for minimum wage.

you can't always get exact amounts of time for everything.

for example i'll take one yard I mow. the first cut of the year may take 1 hr and 15 min because things are out of shape. then it may take 1 hr each time until we get through the spring. when summer hits it may only take 45 min because the grass doesn't grow as much and it's not holding a lot of moisture in it so you can just fly over it with the mower and never slow down.

I charge the same amount the whole year I mow the yard. $50 a cut.

do you get what i'm saying? there is no perfect formula. you figure it out on your own over time.

you should shoot more for $50-$60 an hr though in this business. but then again are customers going to be willing to pay a 16 year old kid that much money? probably not. many probably hire you to do their yard because they know they can get a cheaper price from you. they will try to take advantage of you since you are young. people do not have any kind of heart. they are mean and ruthless. people used to be nice but they don't exist anymore. maybe a few and that number gets smaller every year.

don't mean to be a debbie downer.

just remember nothing in life is worth taking so serious that it makes you miserable. if it's that bad let it go and do something else. don't just follow what everyone else says to do. do what you think you should do. it's your life so it's your choice.

Last edited by weeze; 05-15-2014 at 10:33 PM.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:05 AM
LawnSite Member

Man talk about jumping down that kids throat. I'm glad that you have this wealth of knowledge that you are passing forward but don't forget the fact is he is only 16 and still in school. People might give him the jobs because he is out there working rather than sitting on the couch playing video games. If he was to raise his rates to what a professional company charges than there is a very good chance he will not be getting those jobs. You can only justify the price by your experience. There is no way that you can tell this 16 year old that he should be charging rates of a much larger company just so that you have a shot a competing against him for the job. If his customers wanted a big time company to come in with a big crew and loads of equipment than they certainly would have gone that route. Like I mentioned they are giving him the work probably due to the fact that he presents himself well and they see that he is a hard worker. Maybe some are taking advantage of that but for him for now this is all a good learning experience to build on when he gets out of college. Than at that point he will have to decide if he will be going back into this or not. Lighten up.