Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-16-2015, 06:28 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

hey guys, i bought the $5 stihl pair of glasses, and besides distorting the vision they scratched the first time i dropped them on the ground. Are there any sunglasses that are scratch resistant?
thanks!
"When we finally tire of searching for happiness outside, we sit quietly and analyze and realize that true and lasting happiness can never come from outside. It can't come because it simply is. You are Happiness personified. You are that Supreme Bliss. You are that Joy. You are the image of happiness. God is the one who is always happy, and you are the image of God." - Satchitananda
Old 03-17-2015, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Not sure if I posted this or not but a cheap polycarbonate pair are extremely harmful to your vision. The dark ones dilate your pupils wide open and your eyes are taking a full dose of uv. Very very harmful.make sure whatever you use has uv protection. I myself use polarized oakley flak jacket xl. A little pricey but I swear everyone needs to invest in your eyes, they are the only ones you get
Old 03-17-2015, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

You guys who don't need prescription/strong prescription lenses are lucky in that you have a ton of options.

A few years back I was all set to get a pair of Oakley's for work - they even verified that my script was "doable" - but it turned out that the company had changed the specs a bit since the info had been distributed to optical shops, and my script was now just outside of what they could accommodate in the sharply curved frames.

Oh well. I can't look like a badass, so I just have to BE one.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamber143 View Post
Not sure if I posted this or not but a cheap polycarbonate pair are extremely harmful to your vision. The dark ones dilate your pupils wide open and your eyes are taking a full dose of uv. Very very harmful.make sure whatever you use has uv protection. I myself use polarized oakley flak jacket xl. A little pricey but I swear everyone needs to invest in your eyes, they are the only ones you get
Your cautionary safety points are good advice. However, your assumption that those safety points are absent in less expensive polycarbonate safety glasses is not always accurate.

The Oakley Flak Jacket glasses that you prefer are priced at $150 on the Oakley web site (http://www.oakley.com/en/mens/sungla...0AOw&gclsrc=ds). They meet ANZI Z87.1 safety standards and offer UV400 level uv protection.

The cheap polycarbonate glasses that we buy also meet ANZI Z87.1 safety standards and offer UV400 level uv protection (http://www.discountsafetygear.com/sa...y-glasses.html). The difference is that they are priced at $0.89 each. Yes, that's 89 cents!
Old 03-17-2015, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post
You guys who don't need prescription/strong prescription lenses are lucky in that you have a ton of options.

A few years back I was all set to get a pair of Oakley's for work - they even verified that my script was "doable" - but it turned out that the company had changed the specs a bit since the info had been distributed to optical shops, and my script was now just outside of what they could accommodate in the sharply curved frames.

I feel your pain. For many years, I was myopic and astigmatic. Finding sunglasses with corrective lenses was almost impossible. In 1999, I had lasik surgery that gave me better than 20/20 vision. It is still a thrill to be able to buy sunglasses anywhere.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:29 AM
LawnSite Member

I use Oakley M Frames with ballistic lenses. I have dark, mid, and clear lenses so I can swap out for any light condition on the fly.
Old 03-18-2015, 06:11 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

So are any of these scratch proof or scratch resistant? If you drop them and the land on a rock or pavement will they all scratch?
"When we finally tire of searching for happiness outside, we sit quietly and analyze and realize that true and lasting happiness can never come from outside. It can't come because it simply is. You are Happiness personified. You are that Supreme Bliss. You are that Joy. You are the image of happiness. God is the one who is always happy, and you are the image of God." - Satchitananda
Old 03-18-2015, 06:47 AM
LawnSite Member

I didn't assume anything, I simply said whatever you choose make sure you have uv protection. I just find it odd that for something as important as your eyes that some don't get something decent. I find my glasses in the parking lot a few years back. At the time I wouldn't have paid that four a pair of glasses but sheet using them i realized that quality is important and should be taken serious. That's all

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiagrass View Post
Your cautionary safety points are good advice. However, your assumption that those safety points are absent in less expensive polycarbonate safety glasses is not always accurate.

The Oakley Flak Jacket glasses that you prefer are priced at $150 on the Oakley web site (http://www.oakley.com/en/mens/sungla...0AOw&gclsrc=ds). They meet ANZI Z87.1 safety standards and offer UV400 level uv protection.

The cheap polycarbonate glasses that we buy also meet ANZI Z87.1 safety standards and offer UV400 level uv protection (http://www.discountsafetygear.com/sa...y-glasses.html). The difference is that they are priced at $0.89 each. Yes, that's 89 cents!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-18-2015, 06:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post

You can buy prescription sunglasses online FAR more cheaply than thru normal channels. You can get them in polarized, in a wide variety of tints and with scratch resistant coatings. I have bought polarized scratch resistant prescription sunglasses for as little as $50. Would have cost $250-300 through an optometrist. Eyebuydirect and Zenni Optical are a couple of firms I've bought from. Haven't used anything else for several years.