Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-16-2013, 05:31 PM
LawnSite Member

If the homeowner is getting multiple quotes, you may have a hard time getting the job if you are marking up a subcontractors estimate. The fact that the homeowner has asked for a quote from your landscaper friend kind of kills that deal. Your friend will have to do what is in the best interest of his company.

However, it is a pretty sweet deal if he will pay you $15 an hour while he teaches you how to compete with him. You will not have to worry about losing money on the job, carrying the expenses, and/or messing up the homeownerís drainage all because you donít have any experience.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:36 PM
LawnSite Member

pass on the job or ask your buddy (with LCO) if you can just stand around watching him manage the job and maybe collect a small finder's fee. But now it seems you have lost the "middle man" aspect of the situation anyway.

You are not qualified to do a job like this, sorry.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dllawson View Post
If the homeowner is getting multiple quotes, you may have a hard time getting the job if you are marking up a subcontractors estimate. The fact that the homeowner has asked for a quote from your landscaper friend kind of kills that deal. Your friend will have to do what is in the best interest of his company.

However, it is a pretty sweet deal if he will pay you $15 an hour while he teaches you how to compete with him. You will not have to worry about losing money on the job, carrying the expenses, and/or messing up the homeownerís drainage all because you donít have any experience.
Yeah, he is discussing with his brother what would be the best interest, since we all know each other (from customer, to all 3 of us) and we would go from there. I know that I have know experience and I will be the first to admit it, that's one of the main reasons I've been reaching out to my friends who do know what their doing to see if they can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOATMAN GEORGE View Post
pass on the job or ask your buddy (with LCO) if you can just stand around watching him manage the job and maybe collect a small finder's fee. But now it seems you have lost the "middle man" aspect of the situation anyway.

You are not qualified to do a job like this, sorry.
Hey, no hurt feelings here - I will be the first to admit that I'm not qualified.

- Shindaiwa T242
- STIHL MS290 FarmBoss
- Echo PB500T

Starting 2014 - Solo Operation!