Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-13-2015, 07:07 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Copy that.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-13-2015, 03:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Commercial accounts who require salt are the way to go. Because commercials like contracts. Residential are mostly OK with per push.
Old 06-13-2015, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natures Barber View Post
Commercial accounts who require salt are the way to go. Because commercials like contracts. Residential are mostly OK with per push.
Commercial accounts with a truck and plow don't go for the rates around here what many claim over on plowsite in othe areas.

Retired folks who don't want to mess with the snow or not able to do it themselves are the ticket for me. I have been burned too many times with residential and forgetfull older folks who say I never showed or neighbor clears them out before I showed then they don't want to pay. Etc. I use snow throwers exclusively however a narrow plow would be handy for plow berms. Flat rate or nothing for me.

I do admit heavy wet snow is absolutely grueling and I'd rather mow running all day in 90 degree heat than deal with wet heavy snow and snow throwers.

This area has not been a heavy snow belt area except for 2 back to back years. Last winter there was only 4-5 marginal events.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-14-2015, 05:46 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Last yr we had over 100 inches , and it all came in in 7 weeks.
Old 07-16-2015, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
Commercial accounts with a truck and plow don't go for the rates around here what many claim over on plowsite in othe areas.

Retired folks who don't want to mess with the snow or not able to do it themselves are the ticket for me. I have been burned too many times with residential and forgetfull older folks who say I never showed or neighbor clears them out before I showed then they don't want to pay. Etc. I use snow throwers exclusively however a narrow plow would be handy for plow berms. Flat rate or nothing for me.

I do admit heavy wet snow is absolutely grueling and I'd rather mow running all day in 90 degree heat than deal with wet heavy snow and snow throwers.

This area has not been a heavy snow belt area except for 2 back to back years. Last winter there was only 4-5 marginal events.
Posted via Mobile Device
I want to give up snow after last year. I still have my 1996 backup 24" TroyBilt that I used the last time to finish the season after my 2003 28" Sears died. I am not complaining I bought it used for $150.

What keeps me from giving up snow is that after 5 years I had enough regular customers that the money became decent. After 8 years I have 2 small commercial accounts that can be handled with snow blowers.

I was tempted to get a plow for my Jeep because I am maxed out what I can get done in a day. Though being 61 made me think how much longer am I going to do this. Why invest that much money. So I will most likely get a 46" Cub 2 stage.

You keep working on getting the right customers. Last winter I got a retired couple that went go to CA every winter. They wanted the house plowed so it would lived in.

Having the right customers is just as important in landscaping. I have the same number of lawns to do this year as last year. Though I have lost lower priced mowing with no upselling to get more mowing people going for aerating, re-seeding, 4 fert apps, lime and some small upsells.

Though I feel myself getting old and I am going to do mostly lawn care starting next year. Not that I did much heavy work.

Maybe snow has been doing good after 8 years is because it took that long to get enough good snow customers.

Lets see what the 9th year brings.