Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-15-2014, 11:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

A guy did something along those lines, although not to that extent, around here last year.
The guy has the nerve to put out fliers this year. What a joke.
http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/24...lowing-company
Old 12-17-2014, 10:15 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLLandscape View Post
I just can't believe he tried it again!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Do you live under a rock? Off the grid? Never use TV, radio, newspaper, mag's, internet?

Because there are many careers that are held in disdain. First example car salesmen.
Old 12-18-2014, 05:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

As i mentioned begore, our first snow of 4 inches and I do not want to get out. Going to suck it up and get to work. Oh well, got this season and I am changing stuff.
QUOTE=RedDuty;5158647]A guy did something along those lines, although not to that extent, around here last year.
The guy has the nerve to put out fliers this year. What a joke.
http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/24...lowing-company[/QUOTE]
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-20-2014, 01:40 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

OP here,

The other reason I quit snow is to try on quiting the lawn biz and see if something else opens up.

My winter job has made me aware of Railroad Engineers and conductors make some serious coin at $80k to over $100k. Problem is one is away from home a lot and lifestyle is not that great. Retirement and benefits are outstanding.

You don't see railroad crews on LS who say I hate my $80k-$100k job and I want to mow grass.

There are other railroad Jobs that start Full-Time and pay $19-$20 and hour. 3pm-11pm Tuesday and Wednesdays off.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-20-2014, 01:59 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

The $80k to $100k is in commercial pilot pay range. Yet again commercial pilots are prone to unstable family lives and broke airline pilots paying out huge alimony to multiple wives is not rare.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-20-2014, 11:45 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
OP here,

The other reason I quit snow is to try on quiting the lawn biz and see if something else opens up.

My winter job has made me aware of Railroad Engineers and conductors make some serious coin at $80k to over $100k. Problem is one is away from home a lot and lifestyle is not that great. Retirement and benefits are outstanding.

You don't see railroad crews on LS who say I hate my $80k-$100k job and I want to mow grass.

There are other railroad Jobs that start Full-Time and pay $19-$20 and hour. 3pm-11pm Tuesday and Wednesdays off.
Posted via Mobile Device
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
The $80k to $100k is in commercial pilot pay range. Yet again commercial pilots are prone to unstable family lives and broke airline pilots paying out huge alimony to multiple wives is not rare.
Posted via Mobile Device
New York metro area and it's suburbs have railroad jobs that pay the big money, great benefits, strong union and you are home every night.

You don't get hired unless you know someone.

Very hard to have a good family life when one is not home at night.

I have noticed in your posts that left me feeling you are too selective in the work and customers that you take on. Which hurts your business growth.

Some people only feel full service customers are worth the effort. Person that only wants me to do fall clean and spring clean ups is ok. Because that slot is filled up with a person that wants me to mow. And that is ok because I have another person that just has me do snow.

Yes some work is more profitable the other work. Though as long as I get my price it is good work. It is one thing to say give up mowing when one has more applications then he can handle. A bad decision when there is not enough app work.

To take it a step further one should continue to grow both mowing and apps to the point you hire an employee to handle the mowing and you can do the apps because you like that best.

Old Today, 12:18 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
New York metro area and it's suburbs have railroad jobs that pay the big money, great benefits, strong union and you are home every night.

You don't get hired unless you know someone.

Very hard to have a good family life when one is not home at night.

I have noticed in your posts that left me feeling you are too selective in the work and customers that you take on. Which hurts your business growth.

Some people only feel full service customers are worth the effort. Person that only wants me to do fall clean and spring clean ups is ok. Because that slot is filled up with a person that wants me to mow. And that is ok because I have another person that just has me do snow.

Yes some work is more profitable the other work. Though as long as I get my price it is good work. It is one thing to say give up mowing when one has more applications then he can handle. A bad decision when there is not enough app work.

To take it a step further one should continue to grow both mowing and apps to the point you hire an employee to handle the mowing and you can do the apps because you like that best.

I have not eliminated any options just yet:

* Part time retail wholesale with benefit packakge after X# of months with just 24 hours a week. I am still perplexed how I would juggle both without axing the mowing accounts.

* Upcoming Railroad Yard Maintence slots will open this next year start pay of $19-$20 Full time 3pm-11pm. I don't think I would mow at all any shape or form with those hours.

Since I actually know somebody who works for them... it should make it easier.

Conductor and/or Engineer jobs are iffy on several angles even if pay is solid once you get going. Major down side is having to watch X# of track crossing collisions. A high percentage of those crossing fatalities are railroad assisted suicides. I have a vivid memory. Having to relive fatal crossing incidents is not something I want to live with.

Money isn't everything but it helps. I have reduced my expectations of others to a point I really can't see hiring anybody for anything. Finding good help is an uphill battle. I personally wouldn't do this work for some other operator. Most of the good employees are smart enough or qualified enough or can clear drug tests and backgrounds for much better work. Can't find good help... Join the good help and limit lawn biz work to low hanging fruit where profits are higher and clients are not agrivated because you simply can't show up on such and such day.

Working graveyard is the worst. Sleep cycle and health wise. I could probably do 3pm-11pm okay but you just might be right quality home life would suffer.

Part of me is thinking just go for the bigger money and chase being a engineer or conductor at $80k-$110k+ and stop hoping for quality relationships and home life. This is a bleed over from my recent realization..."simply expect less" in terms of others.

I have not been successful on round one in marriage. Part of it is my fault.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Exact Rototilling; Today at 12:25 AM.