Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-31-2013, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hydro Problem on Exmark Lazer Z

hey quick question just trying to figure out the exact problem with my hydro the the lazer z. It is a 07 Exmark Lazer Z with 1700 hours. My right side hydro has seemed weak. It seems to have some chatter when going up hills and I sometimes find when going up hills my left side over powers the right causing the mower to swerve to the right as it trys to climb. One thing I have noticed lately is if I am going down a hill and then I stop and try backing up and the wheels start slipping the right wheel will actually intermittently stop even though the levers are pulled fully back. Does this sound like a hydro or a wheel motor problem? I have not checked the reservoir for metal shavings yet. Just wanted some insight.

I bought the mower with 1000 hours on it so I am not fully sure of it previous history as far as hydro oil changes and stuff goes. I know it is regularly maintained now.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:53 AM
LawnSite Member

My right side hydro died with 300 or so hours on it in 2007. Dealer rebuilt pump and it has been weaker than the left side ever since. It is still going at 2300 hours
Old 08-01-2013, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Member

That sounds like a pump. To be sure, you may want to pay a shop to test the system with flow gauges and confirm that it is a pump. Do check out the oil tank for metal shavings.
I have an 08 Lazer with 1500 hrs. The right side pump just went bad. It is not too bad of a job to replace it.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grobinsonpa View Post
That sounds like a pump. To be sure, you may want to pay a shop to test the system with flow gauges and confirm that it is a pump. Do check out the oil tank for metal shavings.
I have an 08 Lazer with 1500 hrs. The right side pump just went bad. It is not too bad of a job to replace it.
Thanks. I asked the shop about a replacement and they said like 600-800 depending if hydro or wheel motor. Not sure if that included install or not. What was your price on one? I figured I could do it myself but just did not want to buy the wrong part haha
Old 08-01-2013, 03:54 PM
Sponsor

With 1700hrs, it would be a good idea to tear down the motor too – it could be a failed motor that took out the pump. If the motor is bad, replacing the pump w/o replacing the motor will cause another failed pump in a couple hundred hours. Please call us at 1-80-667-5296 for further advice/suggestions.
Exmark Customer Service
Old 08-02-2013, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxrider52 View Post
Thanks. I asked the shop about a replacement and they said like 600-800 depending if hydro or wheel motor. Not sure if that included install or not. What was your price on one? I figured I could do it myself but just did not want to buy the wrong part haha
I got the pump on line from a Toro dealer in TN. It was $425. shipped. The Toro & Exmark part #'s are the same. I checked eBay 1st but this was the best price I could find. What brand wheel motors do you have? Parker or Hydro Gear?