Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-01-2014, 03:05 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Cycle View Post
I have the km 130. Nice choice but look elsewhere for your trimmer, use that for clearing brush and other major stuff like the broom. It is so powerful and heavy you will hate life if you use it to trim
this
Old 02-01-2014, 05:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm with some of the others, the KM55 is a great Kombi choice. I way overuse mine to the point the dealer just shakes his head at what I've done with it. I have the string trimmer and blade setup, hedge trimmer, pole saw, and edger. If something catastrophic happens to it, I'll buy the exact same power head. I do keep an extra driveshaft in the trailer, because of the amount of hours and hard use mine gets subjected to. And, a driveshaft change is nothing more than loosening a single screw to pull it apart.

The Kombi string trimmer is too short and have to bend over to use it. I'd highly suggest a dedicated string trimmer. If I were buying one, today, I'd get an FS55R. You don't need a big trimmer, for weekly accounts. Small and lightweight works for me.

I only use the Kombi hedge trimmer on out of control brush, bushes, certain tree trimming, sickle bar work, etc. It's way too long of a tool to use on intricate shrub work. Get a dedicated hedge trimmer, for that. Again, lightweight is advantageous, but, bar length should be factored in, too.

I like the 2-strokes; not the 4-Mix. Also, I don't like their Easy2Start. You can pull the rope however hard you like, but, the mechanism only spins the engine so fast. If the machine should get a little bit flooded or something, you're not getting it started, no matter how hard you pull the rope.

If it were me, I'd get the dedicated string trimmer and either a dedicated edger or Kombi and edger attachment. Figure out if you're going to need other Kombi attachments, to determine which way to go. Then, add the other machines as you need them. Make sure everything is going to work out, before dumping a bunch of money into things.

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
Husqvarna 580BTS blower
Dolmar 245.4 string trimmer
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Old 02-01-2014, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
I'm with some of the others, the KM55 is a great Kombi choice. I way overuse mine to the point the dealer just shakes his head at what I've done with it. I have the string trimmer and blade setup, hedge trimmer, pole saw, and edger. If something catastrophic happens to it, I'll buy the exact same power head. I do keep an extra driveshaft in the trailer, because of the amount of hours and hard use mine gets subjected to. And, a driveshaft change is nothing more than loosening a single screw to pull it apart.

The Kombi string trimmer is too short and have to bend over to use it. I'd highly suggest a dedicated string trimmer. If I were buying one, today, I'd get an FS55R. You don't need a big trimmer, for weekly accounts. Small and lightweight works for me.

I only use the Kombi hedge trimmer on out of control brush, bushes, certain tree trimming, sickle bar work, etc. It's way too long of a tool to use on intricate shrub work. Get a dedicated hedge trimmer, for that. Again, lightweight is advantageous, but, bar length should be factored in, too.

I like the 2-strokes; not the 4-Mix. Also, I don't like their Easy2Start. You can pull the rope however hard you like, but, the mechanism only spins the engine so fast. If the machine should get a little bit flooded or something, you're not getting it started, no matter how hard you pull the rope.

If it were me, I'd get the dedicated string trimmer and either a dedicated edger or Kombi and edger attachment. Figure out if you're going to need other Kombi attachments, to determine which way to go. Then, add the other machines as you need them. Make sure everything is going to work out, before dumping a bunch of money into things.

that what I did….
Fs55 trimmer.
and a 55 kombi for everything else.

But if you are going to run a broom you will want a bigger power head.
I still runt he broom with my 55. but a 90 would be better for this.

For everything else, the 55 is better.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:51 PM
LawnSite Member

I ran a FS90 and a KM110 for several years. The 110 was always grabbed first by myself or anyone helping. The extra power was nice, and it was the newer unit. When these both were on their last leg, I replaced both of them with the KM130 power units. The power is great, and the weight isn't much of an issue. I run trimmer heads, a saw blade, pole saw, bed edge redefiner, sidewalk edgers, and the adjustable hedge trimmer with them. I have been looking into the broom, but haven't jumped yet.
You don't have to constantly keep them wrapped up with the torque they have. The hedge trimmer attachment is awkward and heavy at times. The 110 & 130's both float the valves when using the hedge trimmer as if there isn't enough resistance. Although heavy and awkward, the adjustable head (which make it really off balance when angled) is really handy on tall bushes, long reach/deep bushes, reaching over to the backside of bushes where you can't fit, or even standing on a deck that has bushes around it to trim the tops and back edge.
It all adds up quick to a lot of money, but as you add attachments tasks become easier. And when the power unit has seen its better days, another $3-400 powerhead brings back every tool in your arsenal.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-02-2014, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 90 trimmer. It has plenty of power unless you're cutting down big weeds.

I have a 90 edger. It is great for weekly use. One could surely use more power for cutting the initial edges though.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Thank you all very much for your insight!! After carefully considering all of my options (and frankly spending WAY too much time picking out a trimmer) I ended up purchasing an FS 94R today. I decided that although the Kombi system is super nifty, it just didn't make sense for my situation. I'll more than likely pick up a Poly-Cut head, some sort of brush blade, and an edger attachment to use with this trimmer. I'll pick up a dedicated hedge trimmer when the time comes. The FS 100RX was a close second, since it offers a lot more power at the same price and the way it's weight is balanced felt better to me, but I decided that hollow shaft wasn't going to work for me.

What sold me on the FS 94R is the weight (10.1lbs), the speed control wheel, and the fact that it's a true 2-cycle engine. Admittedly, I don't know much about the differences between a 2-cycle, 4-mix, or 4-cycle, and I haven't had any problems with my 4mix BR600 blower... but after reading all the horror stories here about 4mix's, I have to believe that there must be some truth to the opinion that 2-cycles were better.

So thanks again! I'll be sure to post up a review this Spring.