Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-17-2014, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Hey Ridin', I know how badly your waiting for the season to start. I came across this video that will make you even more impatient! Be sure to turn it up, its a doozy! hehe
I miss summer already!

http://youtu.be/k21nZsf6kHM
Old 04-17-2014, 08:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post
Heres some food for thought. I used to mow a property across the road with the old and new SZ. Took me a little over an hour on average. We parted ways and the guy who cuts it now uses a 29dfi 61" Scag TT. Takes him about the same amount of time, a bit over an hour! He is a goof though and sometimes it sounds like he's destroying his machine but still, almost the same amount of time! How can that be when the SZ is so much faster?
That is very easy to understand, you being around the water you would know something about boat racing. One boat is capable of speeds in excess of 100 mph (161 kph), the other boat is only capable of 50 mph (80.5 kph), they run a 10 mile course, but due to a 50 mph (80.5 kph) tropical wind the faster boat is only able to travel at the same speed of the slower boat, therefore they both cross the finish line at the exact same time.

This is exactly what you saw with the slower TT cutting the same area in the same length of time as the faster Super Z, if you can't utilize the speed, it is not needed. Now, with that being said, what if you measured the cut time between your Super Z and the TT on one of your larger, smoother properties, what percentage faster would you cut the property than the TT?

I can promise without doubt, you bring any Scag TT to my farm and I will cut any open selected area 25% faster if using the same size deck. Now, put us both in a grove of trees; as one I must cut, and we will be fairly equal, but I will still cut it faster for the fact it is smooth enough I can trim around a tree and sprint cut to the next tree before the TT can get rolling good.

The only game changer as was in the boat race is the roughness of cut area, whereas both mowers are forced to operate at the same speed.

You have been speaking of wanting your discharge all directed out the front, as can be seen in this picture I don't have that, neither do I wish this action in the grasses I cut. I prefer the clippings to come out in a full fan whereas to thin the pattern coming through the discharge and spread it more evenly across a further distance. This is only a matter of how the deck is handling certain grasses and weeds in different parts of our country, as well as different parts of the world, of which is the category you would fall into.
Attached Images

Old 04-17-2014, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

The property Im was talking about has an area where I can open it up, but also some "go slow" rough areas. I would of thought I would be a fair bit faster but in the end, not by much! Maybe that guy was going faster in the areas where I slowed down. He isnt the smartest mower guy around thats for sure! I'd love to put the SZ against a TT side by side cutting the same grass etc.

At first I thought it was great that the clippings come out full width, that was until the issues started showing up with the clippings catching, on even the most easy to cut grass. It was just nuts that there were problems where there really shouldnt of been any.

I honestly dont mean this in a sh!tty way but maybe if you ran a 60" things might be different. Thats kind of the problem Puppy, you keep comparing your machines to mine but you shouldnt, they are different decks. (Again, no offence knowing that sometimes things read different to how they are meant)
But yes, things are different all over! Different grasses, cut heights, moisture, frequency etc all play a part. All Ive said is demo really well before purchase. I learnt that valuable lesson this time but I had faith in Hustler not screwing up a deck that worked fine in my conditions and I did demo, obviously just not well enough in the varying conditions.

Anyway, its Good Friday now so Happy Easter to all of you!
Old 04-17-2014, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

puppy- what I was pointing out, is basically what Mick did. The fact that the VX4 has a larger engine and chute opening is being offset by the fact that the blades he must use to get a decent finish are draining power enough that the two machines he had and had are about equal.

I can understand why he wants the clippings coming out at the front of the chute more than they do. That would allow him to go back to the stock blades and get a decent finish left behind instead of balling up on the rear of the chute and dropping off in clumps.

Clearly your deck works for you on your property. How it would do on Mick's is a question that could only truthfully be answered by using it there ( a 72", not necessarily yours). It is fairly common among commercial mowers to have one or two of the sizes offered work better than one or two others in the same lineup due to blade length, baffle shape or angle being different on a wider deck etc etc. It seems logical to assume that is what is happening here between yours and Micks deck. The combination of everything under a 60" VX4 does not work nearly as well as the combination of everything under your 72".

Edit:
while I was typing this out to you, I see Mick posted about the same thing I just did. Must be something to it if we both came up with the same info at the same time.

Last edited by Ridin' Green; 04-17-2014 at 09:43 PM.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Hey Ridin', I know how badly your waiting for the season to start. I came across this video that will make you even more impatient! Be sure to turn it up, its a doozy! hehe
I miss summer already!

http://youtu.be/k21nZsf6kHM
Nothing like someone singing way off key to make me long for summer LOL

Happy Easter bro!!
Old 04-17-2014, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
The property Im was talking about has an area where I can open it up, but also some "go slow" rough areas. I would of thought I would be a fair bit faster but in the end, not by much! Maybe that guy was going faster in the areas where I slowed down. He isnt the smartest mower guy around thats for sure! I'd love to put the SZ against a TT side by side cutting the same grass etc.

At first I thought it was great that the clippings come out full width, that was until the issues started showing up with the clippings catching, on even the most easy to cut grass. It was just nuts that there were problems where there really shouldnt of been any.

I honestly dont mean this in a sh!tty way but maybe if you ran a 60" things might be different. Thats kind of the problem Puppy, you keep comparing your machines to mine but you shouldnt, they are different decks. (Again, no offence knowing that sometimes things read different to how they are meant)
But yes, things are different all over! Different grasses, cut heights, moisture, frequency etc all play a part. All Ive said is demo really well before purchase. I learnt that valuable lesson this time but I had faith in Hustler not screwing up a deck that worked fine in my conditions and I did demo, obviously just not well enough in the varying conditions.

Anyway, its Good Friday now so Happy Easter to all of you!
There are a great deal of differences in many things in this world. I've never seen the hang up and drop out in clumps situation, and last year I cut in conditions as wet as any, with many times cutting through standing water and mud. We stuck both mowers more times last year than in the previous six put together.

The difference in what you see and what I see is like I've told you before, it's nothing but the difference in grass types, textures, and moisture holding capability. The closest thing we have to the aggravating grasses you deal with is signal grass, which is a tropical grass native to your area, a grass that never gets totally dry, no matter the time of day or temperature. Thank goodness I deal with very little signal grass, with crabgrass being my next worse enemy.

I have all ideas you cut signal grass in some areas, it is a grass that turns to wet mush, and will clog a deck no matter the make.

http://weeds.brisbane.qld.gov.au/wee...hloa-decumbens

I can cut a tremendous amount of grass in 1 hr., so if you could run at full speed in half the area you spoke of, I have no idea how the TT could come close in cut time. In an hours cut time you should have been finished 10 to possibly 15 minutes before the TT if able to cut in the 14 mph range. Like you said, he was probably running faster than you in the rough areas, this could make a considerable difference.

I could not be more please with the cut or speed of cut with either of the two of my mowers, if I was not pleased, I can guarantee you they would not belong to me.

Happy Easter to you and yours mate, and may good things come in this cutting year. I think you are already into a game changer with less clumping from the changes you've made. What I've watch from your deck before has made me rather sick to see, I feel much better about what you've shown us as of lately.

Last edited by puppypaws; 04-17-2014 at 09:56 PM.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Nothing like someone singing way off key to make me long for summer LOL

Happy Easter bro!!
And there just………………………. soooo happy! haa

Puppy, yes, I cut that stuff sometimes but rarely on lawns, more in horyse paddocks and such. Paspalum is a curse as like the signal grass, stays full of moisture and grows super fast. Ok if satyed on top of but let it get out a few weeks and its a pita. Worse if it seeds as I know Im spreading more seed as well.

Anyway, Im much happier now with the finish for the most part. Just a pity it took so long to get to this point. Not happy about having to run those blades but at least they work.
The season is slowing down now with cooler night temps so I should be good until next season. Good chance of la nina this year so wet weather wont be an issue, it'll be dust but at least I may be able to run standard blades again. Will have to see.

Anyway, Im cooking stuff up on the smoker, expecting friends over any time now so yep, hope you all have a great weekend, be safe and catch ya's later!!!!.
Old Today, 04:24 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Update…
My earlier statement about fuel turned out to be correct (3hrs out of a 25Lt). Used approx 23lt in 3hrs cutting very (very) easy stuff!
Days like today I would get between 3.5 and 4hrs out of 25Lt using normal blades. It was that easy!

I actually couldnt believe it to be honest and checked it several times!

Not in the mood for doing math but lets say 25Lt/3hr = 8.3Lt/hr at $1.55/Lt= $12.86 per hour! (Au dollars)
I used to go off $15/hr running cost for the machine. Its now closer to $20!

Point is, anyone thinking of running these HL's need to take into account the extra running costs, they are significant to say the least!