Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-07-2013, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. W. Landscapers, Inc. View Post
I'll have to try to record some more accurate fuel numbers. "Around 2 GPH" is just a rough guess.
That's not too high a fuel useage number IME. Some people simply have no idea how much more fuel it takes to mulch, especially if there are leaves and more so if they are damp or wet. There's a lot more material staying under the deck, and on top of that, the blades are trying to move a lot of air when there's not much place for it to easily escape. It takes more fuel to mulch than it does to cut long grass, and that's based on first hand experience doing both with the same deck on the same machine.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Member

I carried both units to dealer today for them to look at closely. One of the units,one with bagger, does not seem to be as bad as the one without. it seems to recover when loaded fairly quickly, but it still uses 2 or more gph. The other unit is really bad. I ran it side by side with a Xone equipped with a 60" deck and FX870. It would mow circles around the SuperZ. The mechanic was like wow, that is bad noticeable. Salesman said with that comparison that it would be hard for someone to spend the extra money on the SuperZ, when the lesser priced of the two mowers out performed the more expensive. This particular unit will use well over 2gph all day everyday. I am interested to see what they say the problem, if any, will be. My guess is that the FX850 does not produce enough HP that the SuperZ's Hyper Drive system requires to fully operate mower like it should. That would be my opinion anyway.