Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 09-29-2014, 09:21 AM
Mike Blevins Mike Blevins is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: BRISTOL, VIRGINIA
Posts: 1,335
Grounds Guys

As a Grounds Guys owner I can say its not for everyone. Some info I can give you is The Grounds Guys is the fastest growing landscape management company in the industry. With around 180 franchisees since July 2011 and will more than 200 by 2015. Any questions send me a PM and I will try to answer your questions.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 10-24-2014, 05:16 PM
Austin Lawn Mowing Pros Austin Lawn Mowing Pros is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 6
I look into franchising every couple years and every time I don't see the value. It seems like you're really just paying for brand name and training. Maybe I'm naive, but I prefer to learn from the school of hard knocks.
__________________
Lawn Care Professional by Day, Blues Musician by night.
Austin Lawn Mowing Pros
Find us on Google +
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 10-28-2014, 08:06 AM
Mike Blevins Mike Blevins is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: BRISTOL, VIRGINIA
Posts: 1,335
School of hard knocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin Lawn Mowing Pros View Post
I look into franchising every couple years and every time I don't see the value. It seems like you're really just paying for brand name and training. Maybe I'm naive, but I prefer to learn from the school of hard knocks.
You are paying for a name and training. You say you like to learn from the school of hard knocks. I like to learn not only from my mistakes but from other peoples experiences. I have access to 180 other franchise owners 24/7. I'm on my 2nd year as a Grounds Guys franchisee. The support by headquartes in Waco and the other franchisees across the US is great.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 10-28-2014, 12:06 PM
CNYScapes's Avatar
CNYScapes CNYScapes is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: NY enroute to Atlanta
Posts: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Blevins View Post
You are paying for a name and training. You say you like to learn from the school of hard knocks. I like to learn not only from my mistakes but from other peoples experiences. I have access to 180 other franchise owners 24/7. I'm on my 2nd year as a Grounds Guys franchisee. The support by headquartes in Waco and the other franchisees across the US is great.
So lets hear what all the support is doing for you. What kind of numbers are you doing? How much have you grown?
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 10-28-2014, 05:38 PM
Mike Blevins Mike Blevins is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: BRISTOL, VIRGINIA
Posts: 1,335
Grounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYScapes View Post
So lets hear what all the support is doing for you. What kind of numbers are you doing? How much have you grown?
Support comes in many ways. I have a franchise consultant that has an extensive background in landscape management and business development. Support also comes from other franchisees across the country. Support also comes from corporate in a few ways. They will get you or set up meetings with local businesses and HOAs. More support from headquarters in the form of many, many, vendors across the country in which we recieve discounts that other people can't get. For instance I just got a Billy Goat walk-behind leaf vac at a great discount because I'm a Grounds Guys franchisee. We have hundreds of vendors but to just name a couple woulkd be Exmark and John Deere. We save thousands on mowers,trucks,trailers,equipment,etc. One of the best benefits I have recieved through our "network" of vendors is a human resource company that takes care of all my business needs. In 18 months we have tripled our business. We thought we were going to just double this season but actually will have nearly tripled by seasons end. We were going to push snow this season but have decided to wait till next year as we have a great deal with another LCO that is going to plow for us. (Make money and not have to touch anything). We have 12 month contracts this year which we never had before so we have a great income coming in year round.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 10-28-2014, 05:43 PM
CNYScapes's Avatar
CNYScapes CNYScapes is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: NY enroute to Atlanta
Posts: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Blevins View Post
Support comes in many ways. I have a franchise consultant that has an extensive background in landscape management and business development. Support also comes from other franchisees across the country. Support also comes from corporate in a few ways. They will get you or set up meetings with local businesses and HOAs. More support from headquarters in the form of many, many, vendors across the country in which we recieve discounts that other people can't get. For instance I just got a Billy Goat walk-behind leaf vac at a great discount because I'm a Grounds Guys franchisee. We have hundreds of vendors but to just name a couple woulkd be Exmark and John Deere. We save thousands on mowers,trucks,trailers,equipment,etc. One of the best benefits I have recieved through our "network" of vendors is a human resource company that takes care of all my business needs. In 18 months we have tripled our business. We thought we were going to just double this season but actually will have nearly tripled by seasons end. We were going to push snow this season but have decided to wait till next year as we have a great deal with another LCO that is going to plow for us. (Make money and not have to touch anything). We have 12 month contracts this year which we never had before so we have a great income coming in year round.
Sounds like it is working out well for you. So you had an existing business before and changed over to the Ground Guys name?

What is the royalty?
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 10-28-2014, 08:47 PM
Mike Blevins Mike Blevins is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: BRISTOL, VIRGINIA
Posts: 1,335
start up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYScapes View Post
Sounds like it is working out well for you. So you had an existing business before and changed over to the Ground Guys name?

What is the royalty?
I had a small existing business i was operating with myself and a helper every now and then. I was considered a brand new start-up business. If you are $150,000 a year business or above then your what they call a roll in. As far as royalties I dont think I'm allowed to say. But I can say that with the vendor network deals and using the Human Resource company I use comes close to what I pay in royalties a year. I save around $3500 a year just in insurance by using this company that is aGrounds Guys vendor. The royalties are a percentage of what you gross. There are many variables this involves. One thing I like is it has brought our company to the next level. My wife now works with me in the business. It is a legit business. I learn something just about every day running it. No regrets. Who are We? Family!!!!!!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old Yesterday, 10:10 PM
newguy123 newguy123 is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Blevins View Post
I had a small existing business i was operating with myself and a helper every now and then. I was considered a brand new start-up business. If you are $150,000 a year business or above then your what they call a roll in. As far as royalties I dont think I'm allowed to say. But I can say that with the vendor network deals and using the Human Resource company I use comes close to what I pay in royalties a year. I save around $3500 a year just in insurance by using this company that is aGrounds Guys vendor. The royalties are a percentage of what you gross. There are many variables this involves. One thing I like is it has brought our company to the next level. My wife now works with me in the business. It is a legit business. I learn something just about every day running it. No regrets. Who are We? Family!!!!!!
Sounds great; please indulge more; I'm pretty interested...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:37 AM.

Page generated in 0.06690 seconds with 9 queries