Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-29-2014, 09:21 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Grounds Guys

As a Grounds Guys owner I can say its not for everyone. Some info I can give you is The Grounds Guys is the fastest growing landscape management company in the industry. With around 180 franchisees since July 2011 and will more than 200 by 2015. Any questions send me a PM and I will try to answer your questions.
Old 10-24-2014, 05:16 PM
LawnSite Member

I look into franchising every couple years and every time I don't see the value. It seems like you're really just paying for brand name and training. Maybe I'm naive, but I prefer to learn from the school of hard knocks.
Old 10-28-2014, 08:06 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

School of hard knocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin Lawn Mowing Pros View Post
I look into franchising every couple years and every time I don't see the value. It seems like you're really just paying for brand name and training. Maybe I'm naive, but I prefer to learn from the school of hard knocks.
You are paying for a name and training. You say you like to learn from the school of hard knocks. I like to learn not only from my mistakes but from other peoples experiences. I have access to 180 other franchise owners 24/7. I'm on my 2nd year as a Grounds Guys franchisee. The support by headquartes in Waco and the other franchisees across the US is great.
Old 10-28-2014, 12:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Blevins View Post
You are paying for a name and training. You say you like to learn from the school of hard knocks. I like to learn not only from my mistakes but from other peoples experiences. I have access to 180 other franchise owners 24/7. I'm on my 2nd year as a Grounds Guys franchisee. The support by headquartes in Waco and the other franchisees across the US is great.
So lets hear what all the support is doing for you. What kind of numbers are you doing? How much have you grown?
Old 10-28-2014, 05:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Grounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYScapes View Post
So lets hear what all the support is doing for you. What kind of numbers are you doing? How much have you grown?
Support comes in many ways. I have a franchise consultant that has an extensive background in landscape management and business development. Support also comes from other franchisees across the country. Support also comes from corporate in a few ways. They will get you or set up meetings with local businesses and HOAs. More support from headquarters in the form of many, many, vendors across the country in which we recieve discounts that other people can't get. For instance I just got a Billy Goat walk-behind leaf vac at a great discount because I'm a Grounds Guys franchisee. We have hundreds of vendors but to just name a couple woulkd be Exmark and John Deere. We save thousands on mowers,trucks,trailers,equipment,etc. One of the best benefits I have recieved through our "network" of vendors is a human resource company that takes care of all my business needs. In 18 months we have tripled our business. We thought we were going to just double this season but actually will have nearly tripled by seasons end. We were going to push snow this season but have decided to wait till next year as we have a great deal with another LCO that is going to plow for us. (Make money and not have to touch anything). We have 12 month contracts this year which we never had before so we have a great income coming in year round.
Old 10-28-2014, 05:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Support comes in many ways. I have a franchise consultant that has an extensive background in landscape management and business development. Support also comes from other franchisees across the country. Support also comes from corporate in a few ways. They will get you or set up meetings with local businesses and HOAs. More support from headquarters in the form of many, many, vendors across the country in which we recieve discounts that other people can't get. For instance I just got a Billy Goat walk-behind leaf vac at a great discount because I'm a Grounds Guys franchisee. We have hundreds of vendors but to just name a couple woulkd be Exmark and John Deere. We save thousands on mowers,trucks,trailers,equipment,etc. One of the best benefits I have recieved through our "network" of vendors is a human resource company that takes care of all my business needs. In 18 months we have tripled our business. We thought we were going to just double this season but actually will have nearly tripled by seasons end. We were going to push snow this season but have decided to wait till next year as we have a great deal with another LCO that is going to plow for us. (Make money and not have to touch anything). We have 12 month contracts this year which we never had before so we have a great income coming in year round.
Sounds like it is working out well for you. So you had an existing business before and changed over to the Ground Guys name?

What is the royalty?
Old 10-28-2014, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

start up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYScapes View Post
Sounds like it is working out well for you. So you had an existing business before and changed over to the Ground Guys name?

What is the royalty?
I had a small existing business i was operating with myself and a helper every now and then. I was considered a brand new start-up business. If you are $150,000 a year business or above then your what they call a roll in. As far as royalties I dont think I'm allowed to say. But I can say that with the vendor network deals and using the Human Resource company I use comes close to what I pay in royalties a year. I save around $3500 a year just in insurance by using this company that is aGrounds Guys vendor. The royalties are a percentage of what you gross. There are many variables this involves. One thing I like is it has brought our company to the next level. My wife now works with me in the business. It is a legit business. I learn something just about every day running it. No regrets. Who are We? Family!!!!!!
Old Yesterday, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
I had a small existing business i was operating with myself and a helper every now and then. I was considered a brand new start-up business. If you are $150,000 a year business or above then your what they call a roll in. As far as royalties I dont think I'm allowed to say. But I can say that with the vendor network deals and using the Human Resource company I use comes close to what I pay in royalties a year. I save around $3500 a year just in insurance by using this company that is aGrounds Guys vendor. The royalties are a percentage of what you gross. There are many variables this involves. One thing I like is it has brought our company to the next level. My wife now works with me in the business. It is a legit business. I learn something just about every day running it. No regrets. Who are We? Family!!!!!!
Sounds great; please indulge more; I'm pretty interested...