Register free!

Old 02-21-2013, 11:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Favoritism in the same neighborhood is not a good idea... people talk and compare notes all the time and you never know who's talking to who...
I would rethink what really is necessary and what apps can be altered w/out major problems... Call it your "2nd Rate Plan", and just let everyone else know that they are getting the "Premium Plan"...
Old 02-21-2013, 02:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
Favoritism in the same neighborhood is not a good idea... people talk and compare notes all the time and you never know who's talking to who...
I would rethink what really is necessary and what apps can be altered w/out major problems... Call it your "2nd Rate Plan", and just let everyone else know that they are getting the "Premium Plan"...
Only problem with that is if the lawns look just as good on the second rate plan, everyone's gonna want to switch to that plan.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:04 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildstarblazer View Post
Only problem with that is if the lawns look just as good on the second rate plan, everyone's gonna want to switch to that plan.
Isn't that the truth..........

I handle this by explaining(stressing) to the customer that wants to save a few dollars that their lawn will not look as good as the full program customers. I then say "Now, let me give you my professional opinion on what will do your lawn the most good and give you the most "bang for your buck" at the same time." If they do not respond favorably to my lead on this, our business relationship is usually on a downhill slide.

I never let the customer dictate my program whether it be a full or partial one....

I am the "Lawn Professional", not the local TV master gardener...and certainly not them.

The customer is King, they aren't the Boss. JMO

"Opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"- Thomas Edison, businessman/inventor
Old 02-21-2013, 04:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

When a customer can tell you what to do, when to do it, and how to do it, you are no longer a professional service provider. You are their hourly employee. Sounds all fine and good, except these are the very types that will not take responsibility when following their "orders" does not go well. Either I am the one in control if I am going to be held responsible or I am not responsible and liable at all. Have yet to see someone willing to take the consequences when I lay out what they are.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 02-21-2013, 07:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildstarblazer View Post
That is exactly the case...
I can't speak to warm season habits,,, but I know that the cool-season practices are way over done, and the squirt&fert guys wouldn't cooperate with me on various lawns in order that I might grow grass... So I had to have the client fire them and get set up to do the whole thing myself...

It is amazing how well a lawn can improve w/out the addition applications...
Old 02-23-2013, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Spoke with the customer today. Basically they just don't want to spend $300 dollars, the total price for the year, on the lawn. So they'll get 4 apps instead of 6. They'll be getting only one app of dimension instead of a split app, and no fall preemergent which they will regret when they see all the poa and henbit in their yard compared to the rest of the neighborhood.
Posted via Mobile Device