Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-14-2014, 01:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeplearnin View Post
I here ya, I was still planning to go the route of seperate rollers but trying to decide between these two

I have the smooth rollers. They seem to work just as well as the ribbed.

Only caveat I'll share: the smooth rollers do not have a wide bushing that runs the width of the roller. The bushing appears to be nothing more than an 1/8" thick washer molded in to the center of the roller. This means they will "wobble" more than a roller with a wide bushing running through the center.

I used rollers with a 7/8" bushing and wrapped them around pieces of 1" PVC piping to essentially make a wider bushing to reduce some of the wobble.

Hard to explain in words, but it makes sense if you see them.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy1 View Post
My only concern with the multiple, separate rollers is just that ... they are separate, which means they have gaps between them. I have never used them, so I am hesitant to make any claim of their ability, but, it seems they might leave unstriped areas where there is no ground contact. For that reason alone, I would prefer to use a continuous roller. Both versions are very simple to design/build, but the continuous roller has fewer parts.
I have a multiple roller version and the gaps in rollers don't show in the stripe... The grass bends down evenly accross the entire roller system... I think the seperate rollers would turn better when changing directions compared to a solid roller which would be less stress on the striping system and the grass for that matter.. Just to make sure, I am talking about striping systems that hang from the back of the mower and not ones the attach to the rear of the deck... I looked into those types of solid STEEL rollers, but I would of had to drill holes into my deck to mount the brackets which I didn't like...
Old 07-14-2014, 02:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooch91 View Post
I have the smooth rollers. They seem to work just as well as the ribbed.

Only caveat I'll share: the smooth rollers do not have a wide bushing that runs the width of the roller. The bushing appears to be nothing more than an 1/8" thick washer molded in to the center of the roller. This means they will "wobble" more than a roller with a wide bushing running through the center.

I used rollers with a 7/8" bushing and wrapped them around pieces of 1" PVC piping to essentially make a wider bushing to reduce some of the wobble.

Hard to explain in words, but it makes sense if you see them.
I meant to say 1/2" PVC pipe...
Old 07-20-2014, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooch91 View Post
I meant to say 1/2" PVC pipe...
Mooch91,

Thanks for the input, per a recommendation from MCarlo24 (Thanks Buddy!). I put out a wanted add on Craigslist and a guy said he had some. When he showed up he had what appeared to be the exact smooth rollers I saw that you had earlier in the thread with the thin washer like material in the center with no real bushing extending the length of the roller. I will be using your recommendation to help overcome this slight downfall. Overall, I am happy that I got a bunch of them for 3 bucks a piece. I will post pics once I have the build completed.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:14 AM
LawnSite Member

trailer use

Has anyone used this type of a lawn striper and had any issues while loading the mower onto a trailer? I am just curious how it will work going up and down a trailer gate?

Thanks,
Eric
Old 09-17-2014, 05:06 PM
LawnSite Member

I had some conserns too before I made mine.. I new it would pivot but how far I wondered... Well I ride it up and down my ramps to my shed and I can lift up the front end all the way when servicing the blades and deck bottom... In other words, I never take the kit off... Where you mount it and how will have alot to do with your outcome...

Hope that helps,
Dan
Old 09-19-2014, 07:28 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcarlo24 View Post
I had some conserns too before I made mine.. I new it would pivot but how far I wondered... Well I ride it up and down my ramps to my shed and I can lift up the front end all the way when servicing the blades and deck bottom... In other words, I never take the kit off... Where you mount it and how will have alot to do with your outcome...

Hope that helps,
Dan
Thanks Dan!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-13-2014, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Wanted to bring this back...I made one of these for 260z and added spring to put down pressure on the rollers well long story short, I left great stripes but ended up having the L-bracket eat through the shaft, has anyone added a set of bearings on to the lower l brackets?
Old 10-17-2014, 01:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmackmiller View Post
Wanted to bring this back...I made one of these for 260z and added spring to put down pressure on the rollers well long story short, I left great stripes but ended up having the L-bracket eat through the shaft, has anyone added a set of bearings on to the lower l brackets?
Bigmac... I have had no issues with mine yet but it's only been about 20 cuts of 1/4 acre porperty... Can you give us some more info like how long it lasted until the shaft broke? What material and Diameter for the shaft? What did you use for the L-Bracket material? Did you need to make the L-Bracket hole for the shaft bigger? Just trying to figure out why this happened and how it can help others with their designs... Some pictures would help...

Thanks