Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-20-2013, 08:04 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenology View Post
Thanks for that! Ah yes now I re-check again, I see that its showing the figure is estimated at 80% efficiency, so I suppose the top speed is going to be higher, not 20% higher though.

Anyway 13 Mph is what you get so thats what it is. Thats plenty quick enough
I've checked speeds on many different makes of mowers, and my method is by far the most accurate, I use distance and time, the same as is used on a drag strip, or anywhere else you need complete accuracy. I've not seen one mower that ever exceeded its advertised speed, they've all come up short, that's not to say it isn't possible, I'm just saying I personally have not seen a higher than advertised speed. A GPS unit will normally get a checked speed to within 1/2 mph, depending on satellite location.

QUOTE:

The speed error in the GPS WAAS test was found to be less than 0.2-meters/second for roughly two-thirds of the measurements. An error of 0.2-meters/second is

0.2-meters/second x 2.2369-MPH/meter/second = 0.45-MPH

I think you can say that the speed shown by a GPS receiver with WAAS enhancement when traveling in a straight line is accurate within about 0.5-MPH most of the time.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
I've checked speeds on many different makes of mowers, and my method is by far the most accurate, I use distance and time, the same as is used on a drag strip, or anywhere else you need complete accuracy. I've not seen one mower that ever exceeded its advertised speed, they've all come up short, that's not to say it isn't possible, I'm just saying I personally have not seen a higher than advertised speed..[/B]
Thanks for that. By the way how did you go testing that is2000?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-21-2013, 08:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenology View Post
Thanks for that. By the way how did you go testing that is2000?
Posted via Mobile Device
You've got the testing of a 2000 and me mixed up with someone else. I've run a 2000, and the only real comment I would have is; a 2000 feels like a toy in comparison to the 3100.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The 3100z really looks like a toy up against the 5100z. That my friends is the biggest and baddest Z around.
Old 04-21-2013, 02:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by williams lcm View Post
The 3100z really looks like a toy up against the 5100z. That my friends is the biggest and baddest Z around.
The 5100 is a horse, but they must be extremely expensive, I've honestly never seen one in operation by any lawn maintenance company or homeowner. I guess because of it being excessively heavy due to its size, and diesel engine, there are not many applications it is suited for.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:05 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

We had one guy here running a 5100. He was haveing alot of frame crack issues, so he had me sell it for him. 33.5 cat diesel went to texarkana, tx for $4500, he got a steal, but that was how bad they hated it after giving $20000 for it after taxes. Only ferris ive seen in operation here and it was t for long.... this is grasshopper and bad boy country down here, thats what everyone uses now
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-21-2013, 07:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
You've got the testing of a 2000 and me mixed up with someone else. I've run a 2000, and the only real comment I would have is; a 2000 feels like a toy in comparison to the 3100.
Yea your right I did a quick search now, looks like it was "aroddy"
Old 04-22-2013, 12:26 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
The 5100 is a horse, but they must be extremely expensive, I've honestly never seen one in operation by any lawn maintenance company or homeowner. I guess because of it being excessively heavy due to its size, and diesel engine, there are not many applications it is suited for.
There's a place we drive by occasionally here, where the homeowner lady is out mowing when we go by. It's about a 5 acre spread (or maybe more, but about five is all we can see of it anyway). She always gives me the evil eye for some reason. I guess maybe it's because I stare over at her to check out the machine when I see her. She runs an IS 5100. If you put a cab on that thing, and a wheat header out front, it'd loook like a small combine. Those things are huge.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
There's a place we drive by occasionally here, where the homeowner lady is out mowing when we go by. It's about a 5 acre spread (or maybe more, but about five is all we can see of it anyway). She always gives me the evil eye for some reason. I guess maybe it's because I stare over at her to check out the machine when I see her. She runs an IS 5100. If you put a cab on that thing, and a wheat header out front, it'd loook like a small combine. Those things are huge.
I have all ideas she loves the mower, at 2200 lbs. and with the four wheel independent suspension, it should ride like a dream. I would also say the Cat diesel will outlast the mower body, but you best keep the radiator clean.