Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-12-2013, 07:10 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEL View Post
Take my opinion for what its worth(which isnt much) but it almost sounds to me like you are doing to many things. While it is good to be diversified i would take a look at what your main money makers are and try to focus most of your time on those things.

And while focusing on mostly residential work may work excellent for lots of companies , i try to focus on work that may not be so volatile. ie- mabee try to make one of the types of work you focus on be somewhat of a more recession proof market.
Recession proof! Got to have a part of yopur buisness that is Recession proof. Great advice.
I also agree that you need a core buisness that the profit margin is great in and use the fluff for fill in. Take that core buisness and grow it. I used too find myself taking jobs just too make pay for my employees. That is a bad idea. Drives the profit margin down for everyone. Look back at your P&L's and list the jobs in regard too net profit. That will help you get a clearer picture.

I remeber several years ago there was much discussion about how expensive CTL's where too operate and how you could not charge enough an hour too pay for there maint. I satrted digging through my P&L's and found that my skid was generating 120-150 an hour when working. Through dumb luck I had found a way too work the machine and average double the market rate. Sometimes the seemingly obvious is the first thing overlooked.