Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-14-2014, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I normally price things by the job instead of by the hour. However with weeding I not take the slightest loss on that type of work. I will offer weekly weeding at whatever time is needed to keep the beds weed free.

I will suggest that they start with of 30 minutes a week for $30. Once the weeds are under control, and or it needs less time then I will cut back the time and charge less.

Though I have found that people do not want to pay to have beds weeded. Even when all it would take is $10 a week. They tend to only consider paying after the weeds have gotten so out of hand that they do not want to do it themselves. Thus it winds up costing a lot more.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't mind weeding for 10 minutes while I am there mowing. It's the 50 hours of weeding at the house that hasn't been looked at for 15 years that I want nothing to do with. I have offered my part time guys $15/hour to weed as much as they want and they still say no thanks. I generally avoid it unless it will take less than 3 hours upon the initial weeding. I aim for $60/hour but weeding a fairly large area is pretty hard to predict time and I am usually low.
Old 08-19-2014, 06:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know how some of you get away with charging $60 an hour. It takes little skill, a barrel, and maybe a hoe. Cutting grass takes $1000's in equipment, fuel, oil, grease, and the overhead labor of maintaining the equipment. Never mind the trailer to carry that equipment around.
Old 08-19-2014, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

My rate for light manual labor with no power tools required (except maybe a blower when I'm all done) is also $45/hr. For the last 2 seasons I have been teaming up with a master gardener friend of mine to tend to the perennial beds on a few of my accounts and to plant annuals. I really just don't have the patience for it. I usually do the edging and leave the rest to her.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:00 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscraper1 View Post
I don't know how some of you get away with charging $60 an hour. It takes little skill, a barrel, and maybe a hoe. Cutting grass takes $1000's in equipment, fuel, oil, grease, and the overhead labor of maintaining the equipment. Never mind the trailer to carry that equipment around.
Its because it sucks and most don't like it. Employees really hate when you say " oh yeah when your at the Jones you need to weed the bed" then they don't do the best and you'll do it again in the end. I always have my trailer with and have all the tools needed to do a variety of jobs
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-20-2014, 04:00 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

$65 an hour, same as everything else.
Toro
STHIL
Shindawia
Western Salt Spreader
Billy Goat
Tomahawk

Minnesota certified pesticide applicator
NOT MY PRESIDENT!

Brotherhood 2000 plus fourteen
"The real lawn care Jesus"
Old 08-20-2014, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Member

I just finished a job today. I was a little disappointed that I took the job for $15 an hour, but it was quite a bit of weeding (6 hours) So it paid off. I wouldn't do a 2 hour job for $15/hr it would be a waste but this one was $75 for a morning of work which isn't terrible, plus this guy owns several properties so I was hoping it could lead to more work...