Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-26-2013, 04:19 PM
LawnSite Member

850FX or 921FX

I'm a homeowner with 6 acres of bermuda/centipede. I'm finally stepping up to a zero turn, and I want to make sure I don't make a bad choice. I really like the Scags...particularly the 61" Turf Tiger and Cheetah (from the reviews I've seen on this site). My dealer has both in stock, but is pushing me towards the Cheetah with the 850FX Kawasaki engine. I'm planning to run the mulch kit most of the time, and I'd like to pull an aerator around once a year (and maybe a very small trailer). I have a few small hills, but overall pretty smooth/flat. I have about 40 trees and a few flowerbeds. Do you think the 850FX will be enough power, or should I step up to the 921? The Cheetah and Turf Tiger are roughly the same price, so would the Turf Tiger be a better choice.

This is my first post as I'm pretty new to the site, but it definitely won't be my last.

Thanks.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

6 acre's of warm season grass in Miss. and you want to run a mulcher, pull an aerator and a trailer? Skag is a good brand, but you will need the biggest deck and the most H.P. you can afford.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrostis View Post
6 acre's of warm season grass in Miss. and you want to run a mulcher, pull an aerator and a trailer? Skag is a good brand, but you will need the biggest deck and the most H.P. you can afford.
Not at all. The FX 850 is more than enough for what he needs. I run one in my Z950 for my business and it mulches in MOD mode easy as can be. He's a homeowner. a 61 deck is plenty and far easier to prevent scalping and dipping with, and easier to maneuver around obstacles. Plenty big enough to mow 6 acres too.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Should I go for the Cheetah or stick with a TT? I've read a lot of mixed reviews on the Cheetah, but the dealer says it's a better machine for why I'll be doing.

Thanks.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I very much prefer the TT. It fits me far better than the Cheetah, which feels very cramped to me, especially in the foot area. I do like the suspension platform idea, but since you are a HO and won't be mowing all day, every day, the TT with the suspension seat is more than enough, and the TT has a rock solid rep for good reason.

If it were me though, I'd be buying either one with a Vanguard BB in it. They are top of the line engines, and have excellent reps for power output per size, and durability. Don't let the B&S name fool you. The only thing that they have in common with B&S is that B&S imports them, and partnered with Diahatsu in building the plant where they are made.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks guys for the good info.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:12 AM
LawnSite Member

Just to everyone, y'all were right. I made the mistake of letting the sales person talk me into the Cheetah with the 850. Mower rides great, but the engine is too small to mulch. My first cut (rye grass) took 6.1 hours for 6 acres. I can knock this time down if I cut it very often, but I may just remove the mulch kit for the summer.

Tags
850fx , cheetah , kawasaki , scag , turf tiger