Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-18-2014, 09:40 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

One other tip I have for today, and it's probably going to ruffle some people's feathers but I feel it should be said. I've heard other well established landscape company owners mirror the same thing so I know I'm not alone.

Never ever walk onto a dealer lot and buy a truck for landscape or hardscape purposes that is "on sale" or "looks nice" The very best trucks for your business are the ones you had custom setup to fit your company needs. Every company has different needs and different ways of doing things. You may say "well I can't afford to do all the custom tool boxes, fold down side bodies, fuel tanks, switch n go, etc. Over time you can't afford not too. If your truck is not setup specifically for your need you'll end up running all over creation to get tools that didn't fit on the truck throughout the course of the job. Why? Because you didn't buy the right truck to begin with.

Bottom Line: Set up it the way it should be set up, the F-350 mason dump, and just that off of dealer lot will be worthless to you in the long run.
"Earth, Turf, & Wood, Inc. is a high-end residential landscape & hardscape company that offers superior employment experiences for employees, exceptional opportunities for our architects, a premium service to our customers and value to the community through service and stewardship. We attempt to honor God in all we do by encouraging teamwork, pursuing excellence passionately, serving those who lead, and demonstrating stewardship of resources."
Old 11-18-2014, 10:14 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Can't agree enough with that! All of our trucks and trailers are set up for all the different types of jobs a d services that we offer.... albeit I never stop modding them to be better
Old 11-18-2014, 12:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Impulse buying on landscape trucks, or not thinking it through is one of the worst things you can do.

We've custom fabricated the snot out of our trucks and there's still things we will change on the next truck that we do. We are already discussing changes to the boxes.

I don't know of a truck yet that I've bought and haven't refabricated in some sort or another.

Make a list of the things you need on a truck, then design the truck around that.

It's like going to the car dealership and buying a 5 seater car when you have a family of 6 and wondering why it never works they way you intended it too.
"Earth, Turf, & Wood, Inc. is a high-end residential landscape & hardscape company that offers superior employment experiences for employees, exceptional opportunities for our architects, a premium service to our customers and value to the community through service and stewardship. We attempt to honor God in all we do by encouraging teamwork, pursuing excellence passionately, serving those who lead, and demonstrating stewardship of resources."
Old 11-26-2014, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

One of our CAT 287D's with a 10' Kage on it today. This thing is a Sherman Tank with this system. I wouldn't be surprised if it could easily out push and out perform a full size backhoe with a pusher. Unbelievable combination.
Attached Images

Old 11-26-2014, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

One more. It's twin brother in on the site next door hitched up to another 10' Kage.

I remember when we used to do sites with pickup trucks. What a joke. If your serious about commercial snow removal these are the ticket. Extremely efficient.

Our two other CAT's are five miles down the road on two other sites. Makes it really nice.
Attached Images

Old Yesterday, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Looks like your doing a lot more snow then a few years back? Retaining key guys for the winter and supplemental income?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old Yesterday, 10:10 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Looking good! We have yet to add a skid to the fleet but plan on doing so this coming season or two. Do you use special snow tracks or do stock ones do fine? Also do mtl machines do better than CTL? Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old Yesterday, 10:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Mtl always do better in the snow then the ctl you can correct the problem on a ctl with polar treads or McLaren nextgen tdf.

How long is this snow going to keep you off the build sites.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old Yesterday, 04:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The CAT MTL is the only stock track machine on the market that will push snow.

I studied this for months. Yes you can get a CTL, buy the aftermarket tracks, switch them out before snow, then swtich them back but at the end if you are going to do all that, you might as well just get MTL's.

I've heard more people say "I just bought a track skid loader to push snow." Then I ask what did you get? They tell me they got a John Deere, or Cat CTL, etc. and I just say.....good luck with that. You'd be better off with a snow shovel.

We've doubled our snow removal division this year mainly because we added the two MTL's. It's still a very small percentage of our sales, but it gives the guys winter work.

We will be back on our build projects Monday.
Old Yesterday, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etwman View Post
One more. It's twin brother in on the site next door hitched up to another 10' Kage.

I remember when we used to do sites with pickup trucks. What a joke. If your serious about commercial snow removal these are the ticket. Extremely efficient.

Our two other CAT's are five miles down the road on two other sites. Makes it really nice.
I've said it but I'll say it again you are truly inspirational, love all your work you do. You truly deserve a company like what you have. The work is fantastic, and I love your CAT's with the Kages! Have a good thanksgiving!