Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-03-2006, 10:07 AM
LawnSite Member

Does Lawn height help the right grass win?

Hi everyone. I'd like to use this first question I have for the knowledgeable here to kind of introduce myself. I'm pretty new here and am planning to use this place to help learn about this new interest of mine.

I don't really know how it started but all of a sudden three weeks ago I got interested in Lawn Care, grass and by proxy the whole business end of it. I'm not sure where I'm headed but I'm a cautious methodical kind of guy so I want to learn as much as I can for a long time to see what the water's like and to see if this new thunderbolt that struck me out of nowhere will last.
Perhaps one day I may have what it takes to have a grass cutting business, thought that seems absurd right now - more likely I will simply learn about a complex and fascinating subject and have a nice lawn to take pride in someday.

It's always like this - but after 21 years of marriage throughout which my only interest in our lawn was "how much longer can I put off cutting it" I find myself divorced and without a lawn to get my hand on. And I want to cut someones grass!

So I drove down to my ex-wifes place yesterday, changed the blades on her rideable 42" Craftsman and started cutting. Well first, armed with the small bit that I've read here I went to take a look at what type of grass there is on the lawn. Hmmm ... a whole collection. It looks like kentucky in some parts and bermuda in other large tracts with mystery grasses interspersed in small patches throughout.

So my first question then. I think I've read that bermuda likes to be cut short (1-1 1/2 inch right?) and kentucky does better longer. Does it?
What I would like to know is if cutting it short would then make a big difference in letting the bermuda take over - or vice versa. Does height have a big impact?

If I'm right about the mix and want the bluegrass to turf out the other grasses - what short term and long term strategy should I take? Will waiting for the right time to see a cool season grass and seeding and the correct fertilizing be enough to see it become dominant?

I'm kind of surprised to see bluegrass in most of the lawn as I though that the house would be too far south to favor cool season grasses there in Johnston county NC - but thinking back the lawn seems to always stay green in a way consistent with cool season grass.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm going to do my best to use this as a learning experience. Thanks!
Old 08-03-2006, 05:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I believe the bermuda will choke it out no matter what height you cut at.
Old 08-03-2006, 05:57 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I have a question for you............

Why are you cutting grass at your ex wife's house?
I wouldn't care what kind of grass my ex has even though I happen to know it exactly, because ..............well, you know why....
Throw some roundup on it and call it "dead" grass.........

Height does make a difference but warm season grasses ain't my thing...........
Old 08-03-2006, 06:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Bermuda

Cut my Bermuda at 3-3/4" in the front and side yard. Cut it a little lower in the back 3". Got 1-1/4 acres to cut. But right now everything in this town is either turning or is already brown. I water some of it but I ain't gonna mow it or I'll loose it.

Nosmo
Old 08-03-2006, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

ask your wife which she prefers! I have a cpl yrds in an old river bed that is st. augustine that I cut at 2 1/4" that look like carpet. If you get down and dig into the turf you can actually see the water flowing. All my other st. augustine yrds I cut at 3.75 to 4" or they burn up. Good Luck!!!
Old 08-03-2006, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Why cut my ex's grass? - well if I cut any of the neighbors grass they will think I'm weird and I want to play around with the lawn. If I ask her what grass she preffers she will either say "whatever you think" or 'pour some concrete so I don't have to mow" ... actually we get along as well as we had when we were married which is to say really good ( it was just time to pursue different paths) so I wish her well and help out when I can.

From what you guys have said I figure that the height isn't crucial towards favoring one or the other and that the bermuda is the more aggressive grass. That kind of feels like the best plan is to give in an follow nature then. Or perhaps change preferences?