Register free!

Old 07-08-2014, 12:51 PM
LawnSite Member

It is an interesting question for all businesses....

With an email there is an uncertainty- did it go through, did the spam filter send it to spam, did the Secretary delete with a bunch of random emails?

We are all in sales, but have to tread that fine line of persistence vs. pain in the rump.....
Old 07-08-2014, 07:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

And the other thing with e-mail is the long duration of back and forth, back and forth.

Some here mentioned responding to e-mails anytime via their smart phones. Ok, well, how is a busy business owner able to do this? Most of us spend a lot of time on the road. Going to appointments, picking up materials, meeting with prospective clients, checking on employees, etc. Are you responding to e-mails while going down the highway? Are you responding to e-mails while doing your sales presentation at the dining room table of Mrs. Jones?

I do most of my e-mailing in the evenings. From time to time I do have time during the day to fire off some short and sweet e-mails. So If I e-mail Helen Homeowner tonight, she'll respond tomorrow am, and then I'll respond tomorrow night, and the next morning Helen Homeowner will respond back. So here we just consumed 3 days of e-mailing. How is that productive? How is the benefiting anyone?

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:04 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
And the other thing with e-mail is the long duration of back and forth, back and forth.

Some here mentioned responding to e-mails anytime via their smart phones. Ok, well, how is a busy business owner able to do this? Most of us spend a lot of time on the road. Going to appointments, picking up materials, meeting with prospective clients, checking on employees, etc. Are you responding to e-mails while going down the highway? Are you responding to e-mails while doing your sales presentation at the dining room table of Mrs. Jones?

I do most of my e-mailing in the evenings. From time to time I do have time during the day to fire off some short and sweet e-mails. So If I e-mail Helen Homeowner tonight, she'll respond tomorrow am, and then I'll respond tomorrow night, and the next morning Helen Homeowner will respond back. So here we just consumed 3 days of e-mailing. How is that productive? How is the benefiting anyone?
Not a real big deal if you haven't started Helen's job yet. When the job starts and someone has questions or needs answers then the phone should start ringing or Bluetooth for safety reasons.
Old 07-10-2014, 02:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I actually prefer email for most things as it is quicker than a phone conversation. I see your point if you have 30 back and forth emails with one person over the course of 3 days I usually politely nip it in the bud and ask what is a good time to be called.

I cant stand trying to email on a touchscreen though. I had a blackberry w/ keypad up until last year which was great for emailing. Anything over a sentence on a touchscreen is too much work.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Member

The customer can re read the email over and over so you don't have to tell them the same thing over and over. An advantage but the disadvantage is misinterpretation, which comes to that lengthy email.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-18-2014, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
Shoulda tried running a business before cell phones and the internet. Wonder how we got things done then?
Posted via Mobile Device
I think those days had carbon copy paper, electronic type writers, cord phones, drafting tables, clear coat spray paint for the drawings/plans, and copier machines with the green light.
If there was a computer it had a turbo button and to have a gigabyte hard drive was a huge deal.

As far as emails go we've seen a huge increase in use of it. The days of me being a kid in my dad's truck while he drove to a house to deliver a hand did drawing from his drafting table are over. Now plans are sent mostly via email/pdf. Email saves alot of driving - something that was pushed for several years ago when gas prices were jumping and jumping.

Maybe a FaceTime call will be the next behavior trend.
Posted via Mobile Device