Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-10-2013, 04:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Spring clean out

Forgive me if this is a stupid question but I want to clean my pond out before spring and i was going to drain it and put the fish in a hard shell liner I had laying around. Do I need to put the a pump in the hard shell liner to keep fresh oxygen going in the water or can I just put the fish in there with out any pump and flowing water?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-11-2013, 10:07 AM
LawnSite Member

You will need to put some kind of pump or aerator in there while you are cleaning the pond. The pump from the pond might be a little too much.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:34 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, you will need to circulate the water.

A few other points of consideration that were not mentioned in your post-

What is the size of the "hard Liner' container? How many fish are you transferring? Will you create a fish crowding problem that may lead to an Ammonia spike? Should temporary biofiltration be provided? Are the fish Koi? Koi are prone to jump out of cramped containers when stressed. Some type of porous covering may be necessary.

It is a good idea to utilize the existing pond water in the holding unit (will reduce fish stress somewhat) and return this water to the pond when refilling. The existing pond water provides the 'Seed' for the quick re-population of many microorganisms.

Be sure to De-chlorinate the new fill water.

One final point. DO NOT pressure wash any of the pond. This damages the existing biofilm and periphyton layer and will likely cause New Pond Syndrome. You want to avoid disturbing the existing pond balance as much as possible.

Last edited by tadpole; 03-11-2013 at 10:40 AM.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The hard liner is 6x3 and about 2 feet deep, I am only moving 4 small gold fish and was going to put my pond net over the hard liner. My whole reason for leaning the long was to remove leaves and debris that got in the pond last fall because I was late getting a net over it. It's a small pond would I be better off just picking thus stuff out by hand?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-12-2013, 07:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffslawnservice View Post
The hard liner is 6x3 and about 2 feet deep, I am only moving 4 small gold fish and was going to put my pond net over the hard liner. My whole reason for leaning the long was to remove leaves and debris that got in the pond last fall because I was late getting a net over it. It's a small pond would I be better off just picking thus stuff out by hand?
Posted via Mobile Device
You don't indicate the size of you pond. If it is small then most, if not all, of the pond water will fit in the hard liner container (300+ gallons). Goldfish are pretty tough and forgiving fish and actually prefer water that is less than perfect. Use your own judgement. If there is a lot of organic debris, you may want to drain and clean if only to prevent an algae bloom. If only a small amount, then use manual removal. Either way the Goldfish won't care.

Good luck!
Old 04-03-2013, 04:12 PM
LawnSite Member

I just remove what I can with my hands each spring....I leave the smaller stuff to help with what I call " pond naturaization"