Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-07-2013, 08:04 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Had an employee a couple of years ago swore by the ole combat boots he bought from army surplus. Stated once they broke in they were great. I stick with red wings and they seem to be good. I mostly do constructon and they pretty tuff boots.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:40 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
Whats a planters wart??
Quote:
Originally Posted by BestImpressions View Post
Alabama Larry, obviously you've heard of warts... Plantars grow under your skin (and can be anywhere on your body, but mine ended up on the bottom of my feet). They have a root system too and spread if not removed thoroughly, which is what happened to me. Veeeeery painful.

I will look at those boots gents. Thanks tons.
They ended up on your feet because planter warts only develop on your feet. They are a virus that can spread if not treated properly. I went through this problem 2 years ago. I thought I could just dig them open and cut them out. My problem was that it hurt SOOOO bad trying to dig out the root that all I did was make them bigger. Every time I would dig at them it would get worse. I had to go to a foot doctor and have them cut them out 2 times before they went away. There were days I couldn't even walk without a limp.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Ah, i was told by a couple folks they had had them on different parts of their bodies. I know what you mean about the pain tho.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:53 AM
LawnSite Member

I wear combat boots for work all the time, the particular brand I wear is called Response Gear Tactical Foot Wear, they only cost $25 a pair when they're on sale at Big 5 Sporting Goods. I've been using them for years and each pair last a year til they get worn out.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-08-2013, 06:39 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Wore Merrells for years. All of a sudden, they changed. Sizes are too small (thought my feet started growing again midlife). And last two pairs haven't lasted a season. As said before, the quality is GONE.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-08-2013, 07:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

i've worn my ariats day in and day out every single day for 8 months so far and they are in great shape. i don't necessarily care for them the way i should either by cleaning them and applying some sort of protection. i could see them lasting years just the way they are. ariat also offers sole replacement so you don't have to buy a whole new pair if you wear out the sole. thats the only area wearing on mine, i do alot of walking on concrete for my normal day job, but even then they are wearing exceptionally well and could easily go a couple years before even needing that.

they are a full leather boot, not gonna breathe like tennis shoes in the summer, but i don't notice that my feet are really hot.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:01 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestImpressions View Post
Ah, i was told by a couple folks they had had them on different parts of their bodies. I know what you mean about the pain tho.
I'm sure they were mistaken by a common wart. Planters develop on the bottoms of your feet. Really it's just a common wart but the "planter" part is a reference as to walking on them, you're planting them deeper. That's what the foot doctor told me anyway. LOL They are a virus that will grow if you dig at them without proper treatment. It's funny, there's one more use for duct tape. The doctor said to cover them with duct tape so it can't get air on it.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

This is the best workshoe for comfort and it is durable and light. I use these shoes in wet digging conditions and last me one year. You can't image how much difference reducing the weight of shoe makes.

http://workingperson.com/wolverine-b...own-32237.html
Old 04-08-2013, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Member

boots

I wear Danners tactical hot weather boots. I like them because they are light, waterproof and wick away sweat from you feet.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:14 AM
LawnSite Member

Belleville390 DES. Buy them at militaryboots.com. Best boot ever. Get them soaked and they will be dry in two hours or less. Breathable. Wide toe box to let the feet move around. I love mine.
Beats the heck out of overpriced, glued together hiking boots that will sweat your feet off.
No matter the boot, I would always try to get Vibrams Sierra soles - the traction is superb and the they clean out fairly easily. It takes a real sticky, gooey pile of dog doo to hang-on to Sierra soles for any length of time.