Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-08-2014, 01:43 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

↑ I think efficiency was referring to k-12 schooling which, if you went to public, is paid for via taxes.

Locqus, I think I'll pass on the master's & doctorate! I've had it with school! Loved learning in class but now it's time (and has been for a year) to focus on growing my company and learning in new ways.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-08-2014, 10:50 AM
Sponsor

^^ Ha! Likewise, but if you wanted to keep the wholesome school feel with your customers you could always tell them you are! :P
There is definitely tons to learn outside of the classroom as well.
Office: 800-647-1951
Locqus - Free Field Service Management
Proud owner of Shamrock Landscaping LLC
Old 05-08-2014, 03:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JContracting View Post
↑ I think efficiency was referring to k-12 schooling which, if you went to public, is paid for via taxes.
thats all I was saying. Guys are complaining about a gift we the tax payers are giving them, not realizing what a blessing it truly is. Ask the people in a 3rd world country if they want to work as kids or go to a free school. Ironically guys here want to work as kids and belly ache about the free education that is offered to them.
Old 05-08-2014, 04:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efficiency View Post
thats all I was saying. Guys are complaining about a gift we the tax payers are giving them, not realizing what a blessing it truly is. Ask the people in a 3rd world country if they want to work as kids or go to a free school. Ironically guys here want to work as kids and belly ache about the free education that is offered to them.
I'm not complaining about school, school comes first, I simply made a thread about the complications about running a business and being ion school. Whether you're in college, or high school like me.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, thread has gone a little of meaning of the original OP
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-08-2014, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scag2015 View Post
Yeah, thread has gone a little of meaning of the original OP
Posted via Mobile Device
You said it....
Old 05-09-2014, 07:01 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I think people have two definitions of "young" going on in this thread relating to the industry and it's two totally different things.

- young as in high school and doing this as such.

- young as in post high school and able to do it full time without getting the "respect" or "paying your dues" age factor.

What trials and tribulations you face with each definition is totally different too.... Being in high school (under 18) in all honestly lets just say it's going to be about impossible to be legit and get the same type of work people over 18 can get, simply due to insurance, licensing, bonding... As far as I know in most cases you have to be at least 18 to get such. These guys are going to face the "grandmas" down the street wanting to pay them milk and cookies. If they do get a commercial account it will probably be a mom/pop business or doctor office that they know personally or from a friend.

Then you have the "young" in your late teens early 20's facing the uphill battle of trying to go full time and all the requirements of doing such and doing it right. As far as I know there isn't a lot of banks out there that's going to fork out a $50k loan to a startup unless they have considerable assets behind them or the help from their rich parents/family.

This is a hard line of work to make it in, especially considering the lack of requirements from the competition you have to deal with. It would be different if everyone had to play by the same rules, 75% of the hacks would be gone. Unfortunately very few state and local agencies care enough to check guys for licenses, permits, whatever else. I'm out there paying for 2 to 3 other guys, paying uncle sam, the state, the city, whoever... then here comes Joe Bob up to the fuel pump beside me bragging he just made $20 for beer this weekend. Oh well, life is good!

Tags
business young , owner